Kibitz for Diplomatic Go: The First Game

Great end game discussion going on in the game thread!

I think @le_4TC already hashed out a lot of the points that I would have liked to make:

Current board position

Let’s look at the current area score

• I’ll assume that the inside stones at A6 and F2 will be removed, and that all other stones are hypothetically alive for now
  • redle_4TC has 26 points
  • whitemartin3141 has 25 points
  • blueVsotvep has 21 points
  • blackHaze has 5 points from very tenuous stones
  • There are dame available to grab at A1, J3, D7, G9
  • Of course, filling D7 and G9 would eliminate blackHaze freeing up five more points of dame that would be up for grabs between whitemartin3141 and blueVsotvep

Now, where does the game go from here?

• In theory, any player could still be eliminated, but I think that the chances of redle_4TC or blueVsotvep being eventually eliminated are very slim, and omit analysis of such possibilities
  • Unless whitemartin3141 is eliminated, redle_4TC is limited to a max of 28 points (by taking both dame at A1 and J3)
  • However, if blackHaze is eliminated, which I think is likely, that would free up 5 more points, of which whitemartin3141 is likely to grab a few. And, of course, it’s possible that whitemartin3141 also gets the dame at A1 instead.
  • Thus, if blackHaze goes, it’s quite possible for whitemartin3141 and redle_4TC to be tied in points (maybe at 28 or 27), or for one of them to be slightly ahead of the other (maybe by only a point or two).

blueVsotvep could play kingmaker in this endgame:

• By not contesting the dame freed up by the capture of blackHaze, he could give whitemartin3141 a lead in points over redle_4TC, and by refusing to work with redle_4TC, he could hand the win to whitemartin3141. This is hypothetical leverage that blueVsotvep could exert on redle_4TC in order to get redle_4TC to vote for a 3-way draw.
  • Alternatively, with whitemartin3141 in the lead, he could instead work with redle_4TC to eliminate whitemartin3141 and reduce the game to a two-player fight over the cleared space. Thus, this is potential leverage to get whitemartin3141 to vote for a 3-way draw.
  • Hence, by making threats to throw the game to the other, blueVsotvep seems to have the leverage as kingmaker to force a 3-way draw.
  • However, blueVsotvep may instead choose to eliminate whitemartin3141, which would give him a potential shot at winning. However, maybe redle_4TC would have a slight edge in that two-player fight. Speculating about the nature of these players, I think this is the most likely path.
  • Whether they end up going down any of these routes depends on their individual risk tolerance/aversion.
2 Likes