Kibitz Garden ☕ for the Second Diplomatic Go Game

Well, it’s going to be quite interesting to see how that plays out, then. Maybe communications with the northern alliance will lead them to unite more genuinely against a common threat.

I also find it interesting that someone mentioned that three of the four northern alliance members have a peace unless attacked strategy. This is almost half, and it would be interesting if such a policy ended up creating relative peace a la MAD. In practice, I think it will eventually fall apart, because I doubt the players aversion to losing is in any way commensurate with the aversion to being atomized which makes MAD work.

I think I claimed that yebellz, Martin and le_4TC have such a strategy. Mostly because yebellz and Martin said so explicitly, and le_4TC played like that in the last game.
Mostly opposed to bugcat, who seems to be going 100% into forcefulness, intrigue and secret plans.

I believe, judging by Piggy’s and Martin’s logs, that bugcat’s double motives are quite apparent.

1 Like

Well, I guess we as spectators can sit back and watch the fireworks. :smiley:

Initially, I probably thought the -1 was excluding something, but I suppose that’s just the way binary works Oh duh it is excluding something, because we’re technically counting from zero (I get confused easily). With 2 players, 00 - no players in a chat, 01 and 10 - player 1 or player 2 on their own, and 11 - player 1 and player 2.

I guess Martin wasn’t excluding anything, but you just have to interpret no players as kibitz maybe (well you could for fun :slight_smile: ) and all the players as the game thread like Vsotvep said

So then 2^8-(8 single player threads +1 kibitz thread+1 game thread)=2^8-10, other threads with at least 2 players involved and not everyone.

I’m expecting fireworks with all the attachments last round :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like @PiggyStardust and @yebellz and @Maharani are staying loyal to the northern alliance and expanding out apace. I assume @le_4TC would be too, if he had not been dragged into severe fighting.

It seems plausible given these latest moves that @Haze_with_a_Z and @le_4TC may have an accord against @kingkaio. It will be interesting to see if this fighting puts @le_4TC in a better or worse position than @Maharani and the other members of the northern alliance.

Unsurprisingly, @Vsotvep’s insider information was correct and @bugcat and @martin3141 are playing out a less cramped mirror of the right side. I’m interested to see what the other players do about this, since a single winner in the lower theatre could be a significant threat to the rest of the players.

PS: I almost have all of the color-player pairs memorized. I only had to cheat for @bugcat and @martin3141.

1 Like

I think this is a cool quote :slight_smile:

It is quite cool to see the diplomacy of the northern alliance alongside the fighting on the right and the diplo/treachery in the bottom left.

A lot of different aspects of the game playing out simultaneously :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kibitz logs for Round 4

martin3141
bugcat
PiggyStardust
Haze_with_a_Z

Also, a meme from PiggyStardust:

7 Likes

Oh I really like that! Have people been using that image for memes before? I’ve never seen it used.

3 Likes

Hard to predict exactly what’s going to happen next round. I’ve marked a couple of hot spots I’d be thinking of.

The kosumis in the top left I think would be a good way to make the 3-3 point less contentious and settle it peacefully early. Maybe the players would want the 3-3 as a good option for later though to get an edge -image yebellz and image PiggyStardust.

Then in the bottom left I kind of expect a collision at the 4-4 point for image bugcat and image martin3141.

The right side is hard to call but it looks like a nice point for image Haze_with_a_Z to play at L3 while bugcat is busy although maybe that could upset the alliance in future.

(For convenience/trying to write on mobile)

• image le_4TC
  • image PiggyStardust
  • image martin3141
  • image kingkaio
  • image bugcat
  • image Haze_with_a_Z
  • image yebellz
  • image Maharani
2 Likes

With this picture, not that I know, but it’s a great picture to use!

Talking about bugcat, seems from their kibitz log like they’re having a lot of trouble finding allies… I think bugcat is a bit too ambitious, and doesn’t seem too happy to compromise, rather having their own plan than giving something up to gain the trust of another player.

4 Likes

The kibitz logs from round 4 have been updated.

Kibitz logs for Round 5

bugcat
Sanonius
martin3141
yebellz
1 Like

Interestingly, Haze said that they see no benefit at all on playing in the lower right corner. I’m not sure what he thinks is bad about playing there: it looks to me like the only and most sensible move for blue. Moreover, if bugcat were to get that corner move, bugcat would have a very large potential to get two corners.

Kingkaio went for protecting their stone in atari. I think the cutting point at M10 is more important, though, as would L11 have been. I’m assuming their next move will be to play M10, but I can imagine something like Haze playing M8 and le_4TC playing N9, practically capturing the three stones:

On the other hand, if kingkaio can convince Maharani to play, for example, K9, and they’d play K8 themselves, it would look more comfortable for them. They could conceivably proceed with trying to ally Haze as well to push le_4TC out of the game.

4 Likes

Bugcat being very forceful again, demanding the help of their right side allies:

Either one of you helps me this round or I cash out, which means martin gets everything and probably wins.

Meanwhile this aggressions seems to have united Piggy and Martin in a collaborative attack on bugcat’s lower left stones. Haze is going to play M3 this round, which will make it difficult for bugcat to keep the right corner as well. It’s looking dicey!

I wonder what le_4TC is thinking about their current position. Their first move is M8, followed by M10. I’m assuming this means le_4TC is expecting kingkaio to play M10. If kingkaio’s stones there are captured, le_4TC is looking safer, but has little to no entry into the centre…

3 Likes

Wasn’t cashing out a proposal which was not adopted for this game?

1 Like

This comes out of nowhere…

Maybe it is strategy? Since bugcat hasn’t sent anything by PM… Sadly resigning is not an option in this game, according to the rules.

Cashing out was another proposal, but we went for the minimum nr. of stones thing instead. There is no such thing as cashing out.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought. What does bugcat mean by “cashing out”, then? I assume the statement that he is resigning is just a non-binding declaration that he intends to submit passes from now on (presumably unless other players act in a certain way).

2 Likes

I really don’t understand what bugcat is doing at the moment…

I mean, other players won’t really care if bugcat is eliminated first, right?

1 Like

Did the deadline get extended for the submission of this round then?

Yup, not just by bugcat though.

I’ll be searching for a replacement, just in case

1 Like

I’m not even sure if bugcat can really use this as a threat: Martin would indeed get a chunk of the corner, but I don’t really see it necessarily being more than Piggy, Haze or yebellz potentially can make. Haze can secure more profit by splitting the bottom with Martin, so I don’t think it’s in Haze’s interest to help. Meanwhile, le_4TC and kingkaio are occupied with their own scramble in the top right, I don’t expect either of them to help.

Maharani might be the only option bugcat has. But what motivation does Maharani have to play in the bottom left? the stones played there are almost surely not going to survive to the end.

2 Likes