Ladder is much more than fun, and here's why

I usually get stuck on slow opponents very quickly, the ones who move only one time per day and take months in vacations. Games taking forever is the main reason I can’t play 19x19 ladder.

1 Like

Of course you have no control over who challenges you, but you can always scout the people you challenge first. Make sure they are active in their games.

2 Likes

I was planning to do the same.
I’m not ready yet, since I found some interesting games on the ladder recently and my enthusiasm has been a little reinforced. :blush:
I also joined again the 9x9 ladder.

So, good game, have fun! :smile:

Ok, just joined the ladder. Need something to mix up my Go a bit, beyond just live games :slight_smile:

I’ll do my best to be an active player if anyone wants to challenge me for my place at the bottom!

2 Likes

Try the Fast Correspondence Ladder.

As I understand it, it still runs on the same rules, but is populated by people who understand that the idea is to play a move a day or more.

2 Likes

Fast Correspondence Ladder sounds much less painful

2 Likes

Early thoughts on correspondence games, which I’ve never played seriously until now:
-I like having time to go through variations on my moves, and really consider what the best option for the board position is
-Waiting for moves is stressing me out a bit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Speaking of which, how do you see the rules and time constraints that a ladder is using?

Open any game of the ladder and read game informations.

1 Like

To avoid that it’s sufficient to open 10 to 20 correspondence games. :grin:
It could happen easily if you join a couple of mc-mahon tournaments! :wink:

It seems that all of the ladders across OGS must use the same rules (Japanese) and time settings (Fischer, +1d, 3d max) as the site-wide ladders. The website does not currently support ladders with custom settings.

2 Likes

Yes, I think that’s the case.

So the “fast correspondence” ladder is just people who are of a mind to play at a reasonable speed.

We’ve had some discussions about what will happen when someone starts going “too slow”. So far that’s been in the “worry about it when the time comes” basket.

Careful though, they take years…

1 Like

Yes, I was trying to be ironic. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have still 3 of them waiting for an end. Also I joined two fast double elimination, which have fast time settings but a very slow process.

In the future I’m planning to do my own tournaments that suit better for me.

Try the Fast Correspondence Ladder .

I’d like to bump this thread and second this, and especially I’d like to plug the Fast Correspondence Ladder 13x13 , which is pretty short right now. Anyone who plays 13x13 and is looking for faster correspondence games should join!

1 Like