"Ladders" page should explain Ladder rules

Currently the “Ladders” page shows only the three OGS ladders (19x19, 13x13, and 9x9). While eloquent and minimalistic, user experience would be improved by including a description of ladder rules. If the minimalistic format is a priority, a small hyperlink could be provided to a separate page explaining the ladder rules.

The forum is full of people asking questions about how the ladders work (e.g. challenge rules, time format, scoring rules, limit on number of games, etc.). It wouldn’t take much effort put all these answers in a single place, and it would enhance new-user experience.

10 Likes

Informations are in the documentation:

Maybe a link could be added

4 Likes

There are more places on OGS where pop up rules / explanations could come in handy. It would make the mod’s worktask lighter, so that they can devote their time and energy to other (maybe more important) tasks.

4 Likes

That page is exactly what is needed. I had no idea it existed, which is the problem. A link to that page (or a similar page on online-go.com domain with the same information) is needed on the “Ladders” page.

5 Likes

Small note: That github page is missing one piece of information. The maximum number of outgoing challenges is 3.

3 Likes

In the context of @Lys link to GitHub, more links to GitHub could be useful.
Because discovering and browsing GitHub is for more experienced OGS players and not for (pardon me) beginners, which is the group with the most questions (at least this what I think is the case).

1 Like

It’s a manual on how to use OGS.
You can find it in the main menu, under “Documentation and FAQ”

I don’t know why it’s hosted on github, but it isn’t code, and I believe that inexperienced users don’t even notice the domain where it’s from.

1 Like

Hi Lys (still wonder what a Sarchiapone is), I have visited Documentation and FAQ regularly. Full of wonderful facts, rules etc. GitHub is too difficult for me (not a programmer).
Judging from the enormous amount of questions about relatively simple things, I am convinced that more automatic readily available knowledge would be a good thing.

But we are move away from the original topic. Maybe start a new topic?

Providing a direct link to the FAQ, chapter ladder rules and use would be nice.
Still have to think to keep it updated, as the FAQ can change.
For more links everywhere I less agree. Some posts are not because players miss the FAQ but because the FAQ is not always exhaustive even if the contributors did a great job. Besides I do appreciate myself a minimalistic style, as I use a phone with a small screen and I don’t want to have all this links which are only useful once

1 Like

I totally agree, rules of the ladders should be somewhere more easily seeable. Both the basic concept of “correspondence king-of-the-hill fight” and the time/rule settings of the games.

I wish our ladders would be more popular, not only sitewide ones, but also group ladders too. I honestly feel like those could have lot more potential for generating games between players, but currently that potential is not utilised very well.

If you dont mind, few other ideas i like for ogs’s ladders are group admins to decide their ladder settings and more exposure for group ladders in the online-go/ladders. Just in case anoek decides to make a little overhaul for them ^___^

5 Likes

I would probably move it on the top menu, maybe between Forums and Profile. Yeah, not everyone needs it (I don’t use Chat/ Puzzles/ Joseki/ Ladders/ Leaderboards/ Groups, but you don’t see me complaining :-P), but it would catch the eye of new users easier.

3 Likes