Ladders timeout question

Just to make sure I understand,

1. When they opponent timeouts they’ll have to start the ladder again from the bottom.
  2. A win by timeout does not change your postition in the ladder (no matter how hard-fought, time spent and/ or deserved a win it would be looking at the board).

The first game link here shows my timedout opponent in the ladder unchanged (as am I), what am I missing?
Second link is from an ongoing game but looking at the opponent’s stats I see they timedout a number of times without any consequences as far as I can see.

All in all playing in the 19x19 ladder is not as rewarding as I thought it would be and definitely not as much fun.

tia

4 Likes

How it is meant to work:

1. If you win, you take your opponent’s spot and they along with everyone below them is moved down a spot.
  2. If a player loses by timeout, rather than moving down a spot, they are removed from the ladder.

Known bug that is certainly not intended:
3. Sometimes when a player loses by timeout, their opponent isn’t promoted and they aren’t kicked.

We can fix this up manually when it is reported, until we figure out where the bug is coming from. Thanks for letting us know.

I have moved you into Tatapaulette’s position and removed him from the Site 19x19 ladder.

3 Likes

I think this is true for the second and third ladder opponents who win by timeout. Any player can have three challengers in a ladder. If the first game is win by timeout then the loser is ejected from the ladder. The other two challengers are now playing non-ladder games and so however they win they will not move up the ladder.

6 Likes

thanks, that was very fast

3 Likes

thx for the clarification

3 Likes

That’s how it’s meant to work but sometimes they don’t get kicked for whatever reason

I guess so but I think it is rather sad for the second and third challengers to lose out (on ladder places) in this way. I can accept the multiple time out correspondence thing but there can only be three ladder games so I don’t see why honouring the other two timeouts would cause particular problems.

2 Likes

Ladder timeout bug is known since long time but it’s still there. I really can’t understand how this could be despite the huge effort to improve the overall site that we’ve seen in last months.
Probably it isn’t so urgent but I also believe that it shouldn’t be too hard to fix.
Do you have any detail on this subject?
Is it backend?
Is it a particularly sneaky bug?
What else?

1 Like

It is purely a back end bug, which means whether or not it gets fixed is 100% dependent on the bug making its way to the top of anoek’s to do pile.

1 Like

I think leap frogging is just as likely as dead ending… Balances out in the end, I didn’t find it particularly obtrusive when I was on the ladder scene

1 Like

I would say ‘Yes’ because it doesn’t occur predictable. We can’t reliable reproduce exactly under X circumstances.

5 Likes

Any news on this?

This player has timed out 4 times on the main ladder now.

4 Likes

Maybe it is 3 annulled timeouts? Since at that spot you can have up to 3 games that are challenged in.

2 Likes

They’re annulled, because the player didn’t do a single move in those games. I challenged them lastly, got no response, and now have the option to challenge them again, since they didn’t get removed from the ladder.

3 Likes

I know why the games are annulled. That wasn’t the issue with what I thought had to happen. I thought it might take 3 annulled timeouts, although this is probably wrong. I know why the games are annulled, and sorry if that was confusing.

2 Likes

I think games where a player does not make a move are always annulled. Normally, when a player times out without making a move in a ladder, they lose that game, the game will be annulled, the player will be removed from the ladder, and the opponent (if lower) would take that player’s spot.

The problem here is that the latter two do not seem to be happening. It’s been a difficult bug to track down since it does not seem easily reproducible. Hopefully @anoek will see this latest report and find it helpful toward fixing the issue.

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda had thought the part about being removed from the ladder started happening less frequently on purpose because I have had that same thing happen to me recently.

2 Likes

A player that times out in a ladder should always be removed from the ladder. If you found a case, please report it so that it helps track down this bug.

3 Likes

What’s the best way to report this? I’ve had two games in the last few days being annulled by my opponent not making any moves after I challenge, and neither has been removed from the ladder.

4 Likes

If you challenge someone and they cancel the game you just move straight to the spot above them. They are only kicked out of the ladder if they time out of the game.
If they timed out and didn’t get kicked then use the call moderator from that game I guess

4 Likes