23. steppe
  24. countryside
  25. marsh
  26. fen
  27. islet
  28. spit
  29. mudflat
  30. sea ice

Grammar challenge: Make at least three sentences from the words of each section (so 15 sentences in all.) You may supply your own verbs.

In this post, I bring you simple hyogaiji from Jisho. Theyā€™re all ten strokes or less.

Iā€™ll hide the meanings so itā€™s like a pop quiz.

01. 莒 02. 茈 03. 苓 04. 芔 05. č‹» 06. ꠘ 07. é¬Æ 08. čŒ· 09. čŠ¾ 10. ęž”

11. 匣 12. ēŽŸ 13. ꌭ 14. 걕 15. 哈 16. ēŽ¼ 17 ēŽ· 18. ēŽ„ 19. ę“„ 20. 舩

21. Ꞌ 22. 舮 23. Ꞧ 24. ęž© 25. ęžø 26. ꞏ 27. 陦 28. 范 29. 峇 30. ę“Ž

Answers
  1. hemp 2.red-dye plant 3. mushroom 4. waterlily-like plant 5. kudzu-like plant
  1. fruit tree 7. spiced licquor 8. flutter 9. flower 10. measuring box
  1. box 12. streaks in jade 13. fishbone 14. net-fishing 15. school of fish
  1. flaw in a gem 17. flaw in a gem 18. pearl 19. harbour 20. boat
  1. raft 22. prow 23. wax tree 24. pine tree 25. quince tree

2. cedar 27. island 28. bee 29. mountain cave 30. soup

By the way, I have to ruin one: whoever chose 蜂 as Joyo instead of 范 should have got a smack in the face.

ę“„ is the only one I know, but thatā€™s probably because itā€™s actually a joyo kanji (itā€™s the tsu in tsunami).

Also, in a way 范 is less obvious than 蜂 to me, since 蜂 contains 虫, which means insect (and other creepy-crawly).

1 Like
Vocabulary solution

The Mine & Smithy

I. creta II. creta III. silex IV. sal V. peta* VI. carbo VII. gagates VIII. marmor IX. opalus X. metallum

(*) British Vulgar Latin

XI. laterna XII. cuniculator XIII. faux XIV. scala XV. aes XVI. aes XVII. aes XVIII. ferrum XIX. adamas XX. argentum

XXI. aurum XXII. electrum XXIII. furnus XXIV. ardor XXV. forceps XXVI. malleus XXIV. defluo XXVIII. cuniculus XXIX. faber XXX. taberna ferraria

Japanese Culture

I. templum II. meditare* III. gymnosophismos** IV. ???*** V. pingendum*** VI. hortus VII. carpa VIII. ???**** IX. miles X. dux*

XI. classis XII. lateramen XIII. ???** XIV. thea XV. insula XVI. mare XVII. flumen XVIII. piscis XIX. monstrum XX. vestis

XXI. oryza XXII. mons XXIII. imperator XXIV. felis XXV. matta XXVI. lyra XXVII. tibia XXVII. caligae XXIX. suicidium XXX. materiatura

(1) This is a gerund.
(2) Blanket term for Indian aescetics. Also I used a Greek ending because I didnā€™t know the Latin one.
(3) Probably a Latinisation of Greek kalligraphia
(4) Another gerund.
(5) Could adapt campana (bell)
(6) Commander
(7) Something to do with vitreo (I glaze)?

Merchantstock

I. nomisma II. cadus III. sal IV. uinum V. ius VI. grana VII. bacae VIII. oleum IX. fici X. alcohol distillatus

XI. hydromel* XII. ceruesia XIII. sicera XIV. pergameni** XV. cera XVI. incensum XVII. myrrha XVIII. pulvis pyrius XIX. gemmae

XX. calx XXI. farina XXII. hordeum XXIII. specula XXIV. pectines*** XXV. sagittae XXVI. ???**** XXVII. arcus XXVIII. servi XXIX. herbae

(1) Unusual combination of Greek hydro and Latin mel
(2) I think Sanonius criticised this, but I canā€™t find his response
(3) Apparently pecten also meant pubic hair
(4) Something to do with relicto (I abandon), root of English relic?

Terrain

I improvised in all quoted items.

I. campus II. planitia III. ā€œterra altaā€ IV ā€œterra demissaā€ V. adluuies VI. palus VII. aestuarium VIII. silua IX. ā€œsilva pluviaā€ X. ā€œcampus rusciā€

XI. littus XII. heremus XIII. ??? XIV. ā€œcampus herbidusā€ XV. ā€œsilva niueaā€* XVI. ā€œinsula demissaā€ XVII. ā€œcampus salisā€ XVIII. ā€œclivus montisā€ XIX. ā€œinsula fluminisā€

XX. ā€œheremus niueusā€ XXI ā€œcampus lavaeā€ XXII. crater XXIII. campus XXIV. arua XXV. palus XXVI. palus XVII. ā€œinsula parvaā€** XXVIII. ??? XXIX. ā€œcampus caeniā€ XXX. ā€œcrustallum marisā€

(1) Both taiga and tundra are loanwords from Asian languages.
(2) I donā€™t think a diminutive would sound right here.

I think Iā€™ll start making kanji posts to keep the Japanese-learners interested.

Here is a list of kanji about birds.

Joyo: 鳄

1. bird

Jinmeiyo: é“» é³³ 凰 ē‡• ē¦½

1. goose 2. male phoenix 3. female phoenix 4. swallow 5. bird / captive

Hyogaiji: 鵈 䳑 é·½ åƉ éøŽ éø‡ 鵒 鵩 鵂 隻

1. kite (bird) 2. pheasant-like bird 3. dove 4. crane 5. mango-bird
6. hawk 7. mynah 8. buzzard 9. horned owl 10. counter for birds

Special mention: å–æ (chirping)

As a foreigner, I like seeing the characters that break the pattern, like ē‡•.

Japanese uses only some Chinese characters frequently. By posting a lot of not popular kanji, you talk more about Chinese language than of Japanese.

More interesting that pattern exists - many bird words have 鳄 radical
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Chinese_radical/鳄

Hmm, whatā€™s gonna be a good challenge for today?

@Sanonius

Iā€™d like to try translating Ysengrimus (ie. Reynard the Fox), because 1) itā€™s a real Latin work and 2) the subject matter is playful.

But Iā€™ve heard that the Latin is quite difficult. And also itā€™s Medieval Latin. What do you think?

I donā€™t know, I really donā€™t know that work. ā€œmedievalā€ and ā€œplayfulā€ implies a low-register vocabulary with lots of double-entendre and secondary meanings and/or late latin vocabulary you donā€™t learn in school or from dictionaries.
I just found this page here with some works considered ā€œeasyā€ by the bloggist. The noctes atticae are probably something youā€™d like.

From Hyginus, there is some kind of mythological dictionary, also in rather easy latin.

1 Like

Oh, I canā€™t find Ysengrimus for free anywhere. And a review said ā€œwritten in very sophisticated Latin with brilliant but misused rhetoricā€ so yeah, maybe no.

What do you think about De Agricultura and De Re Rustica as beginner material? These are books about farming (as you obviously know.)

De Agricultura, though, was written in 160BCE so it might be a bit dated?

I know that the tradition in England has always been to explicitly prepare students to read The Gallic Wars.

Those books you linked look interesting, btw.

• 隻 is joyo again, I know it. Itā€™s also used as a counter for ships. The usual counter for birds is ē¾½ (悏)
  • é·¹ is the kanji I know for hawk (恟恋, I learnt it from äø‰é·¹, which is a city in Tokyo).
  • 鶓 is the kanji I know for crane (恤悋, I learnt it from čˆžé¶“, a city in Kyoto).
  • 鳶 is the kanji for kite (ćØć‚“ć³), one of them stole my hamburger onceā€¦
  • 鵞鳄 is the kanji for goose
  • 鳩 is the kanji for dove

I didnā€™t go through the rest, but Iā€™m not sure if you got the right kanji for themā€¦

Note that in Japanese, animal species are usually written in katakana. Only the most well-known species have kanji that are familiar to most Japanese.

Which pattern is it breaking?

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t use the 鳄 kanji.

I think ē‡• is a pictogram. Also, hereā€™s something that will blow your mind:

ē‡• means ā€œswallow (bird)ā€, åš„ means ā€œswallow (as in the verb)ā€

1 Like

Huh. I wonder how that happened. Did they calque the bird name from us or did we calque it from them?

I think itā€™s a coincidence

I did some research on Wiktionary.

English swallow (verb) derives from Old English swelgan.
English swallow (bird) derives from Old English swealwe.
So we can see that they converged on form, not diverged in meaning.

Japanese ē‡• is allegedly a pictogram of a swallow.
It has an onyomi of en and a kunyomi of tsubame, tsubakura, or tsubakuro.

Japanese åš„ has no etymology given.
It has a kunyomi of nomuā€¦ but an onyomi of en.

So it is the onyomi that is significant here.

Interestingā€¦ this suggests that the connection between ē‡• and åš„ is related to Chinese, not Japanese.
It is probably the case that ē‡• is the phonetic component in åš„, the latter being a phonosemantic compound. The semantic component 口 makes sense.

1 Like

In Dutch ā€œto swallowā€ is ā€œslikkenā€, but the etymology of ā€œswallowā€ is probably the same as the Dutch ā€œ(ver)swelgenā€, which is more like ā€œdevourā€.
The bird is called a ā€œzwaluwā€.

Of course itā€™s related to Chinese, they are Chinese characters.

I guess it may be just an interesting coincidence. Though, perhaps in both languages observations of large flocks of swallows devastating fields of crops may have played a role in the linguistic convergence.

1 Like
1 Like