Language Learners' Library

your (sg.) Orik, Olik

This language was invented to embarrass the Japanese …

1 Like

Does anyone know what this style of song is called?

1 Like

I just read a forum message talking about Ukraine flag colours probably written by a Russian user.
I can’t find it now. Maybe it’s been deleted.
It was written with Cyrillic characters and someone (@benjito perhaps) posted a picture with translation to English. It was saying “yellow-green” IIRC.

I don’t want to start a political flame. I’m just interested in that translation. Was it correct?
I’d say that Ukraine colours are yellow and blue.
How happened that the Russian words were translated to “green”?
Is there some sort of ambiguity in Russian language? Or maybe a specific colour name for that blue shade that was translated as green?

2 Likes

I don’t know about Russian, but I think that many languages have a word which sometimes means green, sometimes blue. There’s a wikipedia page (which I haven’t yet read) here: Blue–green distinction in language - Wikipedia

3 Likes

They might be colorblind.

2 Likes

Yup, the colours used were:

желто-зеленый

which does seem to mean yellow-green. According to Wikipedia, the Ukranians call it жовто-блакитний.

The perception of what in English is considered “blue” is different in Russian, since they have a common word for light blue, and a common word for dark blue, but not really a word for “blue” itself. However, there is a distinction between Green and Blue. See for example this article, which I find pretty fascinating.

Perhaps, the reason for choosing yellow-green may be that зеленый sounds like Зеленский, i.e. Zelensky?

2 Likes

Amazing!
I knew something about Japanese case, but couldn’t imagine such a deep rabbit hole!!! :laughing:
I’m gonna read that for hours!

1 Like

It sounds like a 歌謡曲. The 血祭り is a very violent expression, but I can tell he’s singing in joke.

What I’m wondering now, is if Zelenskiy is the Ukrainian variant of the Jewish last name Grün or Green.

These hecking Japanese compounds. Well, maybe it’s not a compound but really smashed together words nonetheless. English is so much easier because it allows using full words. And spaces.

a song in Latin, delivering lore to the unsuspected players? Quite a nice touch. The video should be very interesting to those that know the language since it goes to some details on words, syntax and errors:

2 Likes

This video is designed to help Japanese people correct their English accents, but it is also useful for native English speakers to correct their Japanese accents.

1 Like

Does anyone know why words like guardian are spelled weird like that through “u”? Gardian seems close enough.

2 Likes

French uses gu to represent a hard G, like Italian uses gh.

This is why we have spaghetti, from Italian, and guardian, from French.

However, modern French orthography seems to be to only use gu to code a hard G in places where it could be soft, ie. before I or E, like in guile; whereas in older French it appears that it could also be used in other situations.

This is why we have English guardian but Modern French gardien.

6 Likes

To add on that: the gu in French, Italian and others is often an indication for a Germanic loanword, in which a [w] sound had to be adapted to Romance phonology. This gives guerre, corresponding to “war”, guêpe to “wasp”, guetter to “watch”, gué to “wade”. Also Guillaume to Wilhelm, Gaultier to Walter, Guy to Wido.

1 Like

Might as well include guard in that list :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Vsotvep you like math?

2 Likes

Funnily enough, I haven’t seen a captcha like this (sadly, I’d love seeing that :stuck_out_tongue: ), but I have regularly encountered something similar for passwords to zoom meetings, or for phone numbers, or stuff like that.

I specifically remember once that the password was described as “the axiom of set theory starting with the letter F that is commonly used to prove in ZFC that there exists no infinite descending sequence of sets ordered by set membership”.

Also, his last joke is great, such a simple question, yet these kind of problems are famously hard to prove. However, this part of mathematics is home to some beautiful nonconstructive proofs.

For example, the polynomial

x2 - (e+π)x + eπ = (x - π)(x - e)

has the roots x = π or x = e, thus since its roots are not algebraic numbers, its coefficients cannot be all algebraic numbers. Hence at least one of (e + π) or eπ must be a transcendental number, but it doesn’t tell us which one it would be, or that both would be.

1 Like

Auto subtitles help a bit.

I only got 高尾先生はお酒と馬がお好きなイメージありますね heh. And something about Takao building territory while attacking. And Fujisawa Rina is 妹弟子? I’m pretty oblivious to the whole Santa-Barbara with who was teaching who, I don’t know exactly what it means.

wait, so the channel is called shogipremium, but it is about Go as well? How much does the subscription cost by the way?