Language Learners' Library

990 yen a month, it seems

Iā€™ve noticed that her little sister Risa seems to have become popular on Japanese youtube.

I saw this video popup as well but I donā€™t know enough to keep up. Iā€™ve started to notice Ohashiā€™s name more. He gave a lecture in English for Nihon Kiin Overseas describing Dosakuā€™s shoulder-hit, Shusakuā€™s anti-shoulder hit, and Go Seigenā€™s preemptive shoulder hit. He also wrote the book that analyzes Shuwa and Shusakuā€™s games using AI. And now he was interviewed for this AI video.

For inaudible, do Italians usually write inaudibile or inudibile?

Iā€™m guessing the latter (because thereā€™s udibile and not audibile), but Wiktionary supplies both.

Iā€™m doing some work on Italian vocabulary.

@_Sofiam any input?

Sorry I wasnā€™t following this.
Both are ok, but Iā€™d say they have a slightly different meaning, Iā€™d use ā€œinudibileā€ for something that canā€™t be heard literally and ā€œinaudibileā€ for more theoretical meanings, like ā€œit doesnā€™t deserve to be heardā€.
Theyā€™re both not widely used words, though, and you can probably safely use them interchangeably

1 Like

According to Treccani, the latter is derived from the former and more used now.

I donā€™t think I ever heard ā€œinaudibileā€ but we use commonly ā€œinauditoā€ as ā€œnever heard/seen/happened beforeā€.

1 Like

Wow, really?
I would have said itā€™s more common than ā€œinudibileā€. And I think I have seen it more than ā€œinauditoā€ (that is just its adjective). But maybe Iā€™m wrong, I dont know.
I think I should try learning Italian.

1 Like

How about memes. Took me some to come up with this one lol

3 Likes

Shouldnā€™t the Gā€™s be 惠 instead, so itā€™s all katakana? Seems still readable to me as a G, with some effort (but similar effort is needed to see a D in ćƒÆ)

Reminds me of those ā€œAsian restaurantā€ styles of fonts

1 Like
1 Like

I wondered whatā€™s written behind the clock, č”Œé›²

Apparently thatā€™s the name of the room.

You can see the prices here: 5FĀ |Ā ę–½čØ­ę”ˆå†…Ā |Ā å›²ē¢ć®ę—„ęœ¬ę£‹é™¢

Iā€™ve been slowly learning Japanese for a bit now. Mostly to enjoy Go content . I got familiar with the language and then switched back to other hobbies but now Iā€™m making more of an effort. Iā€™m currently reading Terayama Rei 6dā€™s Yose Fundamentals book. It starts from scratch. Every problem is a complete 9x9 board position that can be counted to see if you got the endgame solution correct. I like that aspect of the book a lot. The prompts are actually very difficult because they are more conversational. But the solutions explanations are concrete Go-writing and I am getting the hang of it. Iā€™ve also neglected endgame so I donā€™t mind starting from scratch.

3 Likes

I was a bit bored, so I created some new kanji / hanzi using existing radicals. Can you guess the meaning?

From top to bottom
  • Fishing
  • Brushing oneā€™s hair
  • Hedgehog
  • Marriage proposal
  • Martial arts
1 Like

č ±ęƒ‘
Jesus Christ, and people say you can learn Japanese

Wow! Thatā€™s your second language? You must be a poet or something in your first.

(Well, ok, it should be ā€˜two birds with one stoneā€™, but still ā€¦)

I like the connection between marriage proposal and martial arts.

1 Like

Reminds me of this:

3 Likes

I wondered about the kanji for Go on Reddit a while back. The bottom component is the stone kanji but what is the upper part? Some nice Reddit member taught me about it and then over time I forgot what they said. I decided to figure it back out for myself. So here is what I re-learned.

ā€œGoā€ the game is written as: 囲ē¢ ā€œigo.ā€ The 囲 character is a verb å›²ć‚€ (pronounced ā€œkakomuā€) which means ā€œto surround.ā€ And then there is the ē¢ character which is pronounced ā€œgoā€ and is often used by itself. The bottom part is ēŸ³ which means stone ā€œishi.ā€ This is a normal kanji I can recognize.

But what about that upper part? I eventually remembered that the Reddit user told me it was a sound component giving the sound ā€œgo.ā€ It is the character 其. The meaning is irrelevant to ā€œGoā€ the game even though stone is clearly relevant. Iā€™m not sure if there is an consistency to be able to understand whether a Kanji component lends its sound vs lending itā€™s meaning.

But anyway, the 3 components 囲, 其, ēŸ³ give you the complete story: a thing called ā€œGoā€ that is about surrounding stones.

Just sharing :slight_smile:
Thanks to the friendly Reddit user who I cannot remember.

2 Likes