Leaving a live game: new notification

If you (temporarily) leave a live game, you get this notification.

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-09-21 om 20.33.43

It can not be clicked away, for if you do try, you will be returned to that live game.
Rather annoying.

Thoughts?

1 Like

try to open additional tab in browser

instead of going somewhere else on OGS in current tab, open that place in new tab

do not close current

Yeah, there are workarounds for everything. iI is a nice solution.
But I did ask for thoughts about it, more specifically how do you feel about it?

1 Like

I think it’s a good enough measure, everyone has been complaining about people who leave and never come back. Also, it’s more difficult to claim they didn’t know to mods.

Maybe it could be limited to accounts less than a year old or something, if veterans find it annoying. As long as veterans don’t lose by leaving the game.

3 Likes

I think the alternative is you might lose by disconnection without knowing why. I haven’t experienced the banner yet myself, will let you know what I think then :joy:

P.s. now that we have this, can we stop opening a new tab every time I click the circle during a live game?

Other notifications can be closed, not this one.
Every time I leave a game this one pops up. I think once should be enough.

Does OGS really expect that, every time my opponent doesn’t show up in an AST, I will wait for 5 minutes plus komi? (No, I will do other things in other tabs.)
Of course I could follow @stone.defender’s solution and open a new tab. But in my opinion this notification is too dominant. And it popping up every time I leave a game makes it very annoying.
Okay, just my thoughts.

3 Likes

I think the new notification is great. My only reservation when I read anoek’s post was that it addressed the time issue, but not the moral issue (symbolically spitting in the face of one’s opponent). Learning here that it is hard to evade and annoying makes it double great in my book. Maybe some people will go back and resign, as an honorable person would do in the first place.

1 Like

So, if I change tabs to read an incoming email, to reply “no I can’t go out tonight, I’m playing go” and to spellcheck my message before sending it and then make sure it’s not in the outbox and then spending a couple of extra seconds to read an obviously urgent popup window telling me “hey, where do you think you are going?”, it means that I am disrespecting my opponent?
“Annoyances” mean different things to different people.

I’m sorry, I think this is too strict and too annoying to have warnings everywhere just because I took my eyes from the goban for a moment.

I won’t even mention internet quality.

2 Likes

You don’t need to close your game tab to do any of that.

3 Likes

I would, on my phone, most times. I often close tabs either by mistake or because the browser is frozen.

1 Like

Something that should be borne in mind is that switching tabs whilst leaving an OGS game tab open, can actually look like closing the tab as far as OGS is concerned because browsers may effectively close the tab behing the scenes to save memory, and then reload it when you return to it. This is common in mobile browsers, and can also happen in desktop ones now that Chrome has rolled out this memory saver feature to desktop Chrome too. This is also relevant with the new 30 second disconnect and claim win feature: the user may not have disconnected, they might have just switched tab and the browser killed the tab unbeknownst to them.

3 Likes

I find very annoying a player who just stops, particularly if I am clearly winning. I think this is a helpful solution. If you want to leave games and come back, play correspondence.

2 Likes