Lee Sedol Retires

Can he come to Europe and be an egf pro :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In all seriousness, there must be something more to his situation than the dispute alone :thinking:. As a certifiable Go genius, he has all the reason in the world to continue playing. If Korea isnā€™t playing ball, there is still money to be made and Go to be played with other organizations.

2 Likes

Today I saw the full video by Yeonwoo and she reports that Lee Sedol is looking for different activities than Go. Next December heā€™ll fight against an AI that I donā€™t know and those could be the last official games of his career.
I didnā€™t expect that.

2 Likes

Very interesting and very unexpected. I wonder what other things he will persue after go? He is an intelligent man, so the world is open to himā€¦ Iā€™d be keen on seeing what he does next.

2 Likes

23 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lee Sedol vs HanDol

Yike seem to be of the opinion that retirement may not have been Lee Sedolā€™s ideaā€¦

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what weā€™ve been discussing here. In short, Lee didnā€™t want his money taken so he left pro association (not the KBA, the other one I think). And this year it was decided that only members of the association can participate in their tournaments, thus Lee lost the ability to participate in many Korean tournaments. So he retired completely. Maybe itā€™s not exactly like that, but more or less how it worked.

So yeah, we all now know for sure that those headlines are just clickbait.

5 Likes

The acupuncture one?

7 Likes

Hereā€™s some links I found.

2 Likes
1 Like

I donā€™t know why, but those headlines feel really gross to me.

8 Likes

Wow, Iā€™m glad you said that. Me too. It is absolutely horrible, whatever the real story is.

4 Likes

Someone posted that BBC article in /r/baduk and everybody responding was stating the same thing. That reporting is blatant headline click bait. It is dishonorable, misrepresentative, and they should be ashamed :lying_face:

7 Likes

i tend to find that if i have any knowledge on any subject that every news article concerning that is blatantly incorrect and without even slight nuance. one of the problems of people writing on subjects they know little about. dunning-kruger also applies (as it does almost everywhere)

4 Likes

Apparently the bbc use this as a source

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20191127004800315?

Eh, look on the bright side. Itā€™s publicity. And if Lee Sedol is ā€œdefinitely going to move overseas in three yearsā€ then he might come to the West, you never know.

3 Likes

Also

https://www.usgo.org/news/2019/11/lee-sedol-retirement-reported-worldwide/

2 Likes

In an interview with the Korean news agency earlier this week, Lee attributed his desire to retire to the rise of AI and the invincibility of programs such as AlphaGo, stating that ā€œwith the debut of AI in Goā€¦ even if I become the number one, there is an entity that cannot be defeated.ā€

Does that USGO.org article fall under reporting a lie as well? I guess, at the very least, it should fall under ā€œdidnā€™t bother to write a thorough articleā€. I do not normally subscribe to the news anyway, but this is a stark reminder that few people care about reporting genuine news anymore :weary:

1 Like

Well again if you look at who the bbc cited, some Korean news agency,

((Yonhap Interview) Go master Lee says he quits unable to win over AI Go players | Yonhap News Agency)

that apparently conducted an interview with lee Sedol, they do say

SEOUL, Nov. 27 (Yonhap) ā€“ South Korean Go master Lee Se-dol, who retired from professional Go competition last week after gaining worldwide fame in 2016 as the only human to defeat the artificial intelligence (AI) Go player AlphaGo, said his retirement was primarily motivated by the invincibility of AI Go programs.
ā€œWith the debut of AI in Go games, Iā€™ve realized that Iā€™m not at the top even if I become the number one through frantic efforts,ā€ said Lee.
ā€œEven if I become the number one, there is an entity that cannot be defeated,ā€ he said in an interview with Yonhap News Agency in Seoul on Monday.

However they do also report that

Lee didnā€™t deny that his retirement decision was also influenced by a conflict with the KBA over the use of membership fees. He actually quit the KBA in May 2016 and is now suing the association for the return of his membership fee.
Lee had once considered playing in professional Go leagues in China or Japan but gave up the idea due to problems relating to his nationality among other things.

So it sounds less like lying and more like selective reporting.

4 Likes

Also known as lying through obfuscation  or  not telling the whole truth  or  lying by omission :face_vomiting:. Any way you look at it, they are manipulating the perception of their audience purposefully and by choice. In my book, that is bonafide lying :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes