Linking your AGA, EGF, or other organization / server account information to help us improve our ratings and ranking systems

To be clear, we’re not considering any of the other server data for our next batch of ranking tuning. We will be looking at EGF and AGA ranks and seeing if we can tune things there so that there is better alignment, but yeah other servers ranking decisions won’t have any bearings on how we compute our ratings or ranks.

What that information will be used for updating the mapping chart that you linked to.

9 Likes

This is a great idea! I’m glad this is happening!

2 Likes

Taiwan Chi Yuan is only for professional players not those with amateur dan in Taiwan. The “中華民國圍棋協會” is the association for amateur dan ranking in Taiwan. The name means “ROC Go Association”. Unfortunately I haven’t found any official English name to it.

Here is the webpage of “中華民國圍棋協會”: http://www.weiqi.org.tw/default.asp

4 Likes

Can confirm this - probably “Taiwanese Go Association” would suit best?

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the correction! It’s been updated.

3 Likes

On Goquest, ranking and rating are not so linked. I never care about ranking there, but rating.

I say this because the explicit choice in the inquiry is about ranking.

2 Likes

Personally, I would be glad for a system that could erase some differences about levels between servers. But I understand the difficult of something like that a bit better now with the anoek reply.
I’m glad with any effort though. Btw, OGS is my favourite reference :slight_smile:
Cheers!

2 Likes

Do you think it would be possible (and a good idea) to track all games on all servers and compute a new global rank for every player? I think in theory this could produce the most accurate results even for those players who have unstable ranks on some of the servers because you can match them together using the new information from the settings. It would be an interesting alternative to a rank conversion table.

1 Like

GoQuest is different from other sites/organizations. The kyu/dan rank mainly measures how much you have played. Your strength is measured with the rating, not the rank. So including GoQuest “rank” will be meaningless in comparison to other ranks.

2 Likes

It’s great!

I am curious how each ranking will be pondered, which weight will be given and how?

Let say there is enough harmony between the ranking to proceed.

I have a 2k aga, 5k egf 6k ogs 4k German and 1k Chinese.

What is the weight of each ranking in the calculation and how it is decided?

3 Likes

+1 The rank of GoQuest is not comparable to ranks from other servers/platforms.

2 Likes

Regarding data protection, I think “hide” should be the default, and you should have to toggle the switch to make the information visible on your profile page.

(OGS is probably not subject to the European GDPR, right? If it was, “hide” would have to be the default by law.)

(Oh my gosh, I feel so German for writing this. :flushed:)

8 Likes

Would it still be helpful, if the server ranks are filled, but no usernames are present?

I see that if you choose to indicate your player number, you get a link to your profile for EGF but not for FFG (Fédération Française de Go).

Could you add it? The link would be https://ffg.jeudego.org/php/affichePersonne.php?id=xxxx where xxxx is the player’s number. In my case :
https://ffg.jeudego.org/php/affichePersonne.php?id=9183

2 Likes

Anything serving EU citizens is subject to the GDPR. However, these are optional fields that are not filled by default, which according to the UK ICO’s guidance on the GDPR counts as an active opt-in mechanism.

7 Likes

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Unfortunately not, most servers are not as open as us as far as having an API or some means of getting that game history.

5 Likes

+1 for GoQuest not being applicable. You could have Elo ranges as options for it, but I don’t know how that would help you. The Kyu/Dan ranks have very little meaning there.

1 Like

Regarding the GDPR and other privacy/cookie regulations, does OGS have an adequate cookie warning/disclaimer/consent forms?

1 Like