Linking your AGA, EGF, or other organization / server account information to help us improve our ratings and ranking systems

The Kyu/Dan ranks have very little meaning there

I don’t agree with this.

Yes, the GoQuest system is different, as it uses a mix of rating thresholds and achievements, but they do have a meaning and the promotion requirements are clear at each rank.

DDK promotion requirements are only achievements, for instance “2 wins”, the idea is to encourage people to play.

At some point the requirements start to be based on the ELO rating. For instance, I’m 2 kyu and to get to 1 kyu I need to get my ELO rating >= 1600.

There are quite a lot of pros at the top of the ranking so the higher you go the steeper the promotion requirements are. For instance, spaceman is 9d and to hit 10d needs ELO >= 2900 and a 10 game winning streak. Presumably the additional requirements at very high ranks are to give them a challenge.

I wish there was a table to make all of this more transparent, but it is public information: just press “next” on the profile page of any player to see their promotion requirements.

Regarding comparability, I suspect that the higher the rank, the more comparable it will be to other systems. For instance, GoDave89 is 6d on KGS, 5d on OGS, 4d on GoQuest. Not so different.

5 Likes

When I look the rating of a Goquest player I have a good guess on his strength. But I see 1900 being 6d or 2000 4d, it means nothing to me. So ranks may be a good incentive to play there but nothing to take so serious. Besides seems pairing are made according rating, not ranking so what’s the point?

4 Likes

We could convert the rating to ranks ourself.

3 Likes

You can now toggle showing hiding your id/usernames, but still show your ranks

5 Likes

I can’t. Logout/login required? Deleting cookies?

If you can’t see the page, maybe try holding down shift and reloading the page?

Done that. Still I only see one switch ‘Show this information …’

1 Like

Ah, the other toggle is only visible if you selected to show any information at all. Basically, you can hide it all, or you can hide only the usernames and ids.

2 Likes

:grinning: Confirmed, works fine.

Not sure it’s ideal though. Many privacy paranoids might never see that second option this way.

6 Likes

You really should ONLY be asking for the server and username, NOT the rank on that server. Instead . . .

. . . your software should LOOK at the server and get the critical information such as the rank on that server, and how many recent games it is based on.

I mean, really, don’t ask for the rank since it changes quickly, plus it may or may not be based on recent games. I am eric osman at rcn dot com

This is possible for some servers and systems but not others. When possible we will certainly do it. Otherwise, we’ll be using last updated timestamps to determine how much we trust the rank as being current.

6 Likes

It is true that the GoQuest rank does have a correlation with the rating. However I think the main problem with the rank is that it will never go down. I don’t think I am much stronger than one year ago, however my rank is higher because on one lucky day last year, I won a lot of games and achieved 3D. My rating number went down again, but the rank did not.

Another issue I found with the GoQuest rank in the OGS settings is that it is not clear whether I should use my 9x9 rank or the 13x13 rank. (Then again, for many players the two ranks will probably be similar unless they are very unstable.)

4 Likes

(When I click “reply”, am I replying to the whole discussion, or just to whatever particular reply I last clicked on before clicking “reply”?) By the way, the only reason I didn’t include my goquest rating is that since I play 19x19 games here on ogs, and since a 19x19 board looks way too tiny on my iphone, I only play 9x9 on goquest on the iphone, and therefore my rating there only represents my performance on 9x9 size boards.

1 Like

13x13 still nice on my phone, a bit more entertaining for me (and a little bit less speed)

More on topic: 19x19 seems to be no use, there are far too few games and the rating seem to suffer from that

I think the reply button at the bottom is more or less either replying to the last post in the thread or just adding a new response to the original post. Both just show replying to the name of the thread when composing a message.

Whereas if you click reply on another post or quote another post I believe it highlights this one as being replied to. (well I guess the quote shows what you’re talking about and doesn’t need the little reply arrow to appear on the post.)

1 Like

I believe standard practice is to show a greyed out ghost of the button, and then only make it clickable once the other option is turned on.

2 Likes

I want to show my linked accounts, but the display will cut out the last letter of my username? (It’s supposed to be “XenonOxide”)

I increased the width for you @xenonoxide

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I’m curious, is signing up for this new OGS link to share data with outside organizations reciprocal? Does the AGA “see” our virtual data (username, avatar, game history, rating, etc) from OGS?

While much of it can be seen by anyone coming into OGS (but that’s not true of all the data, such as real name, email address), I’m wondering if it is “open” or “pushed” to the linked party.

Thank you.

1 Like