Linking your AGA, EGF, or other organization / server account information to help us improve our ratings and ranking systems

No, this is all self reported data so they couldn’t make use of it for real ratings or anything. We are making progress with the aga to do some actual account binding so games can be rated by the aga in some fashion, but that will be a separate thing.

12 Likes

Thank you, Anoek.

Great question. In this case it would fall under the ePrivacy Directive rather than a EU regulation, so there might be some differences in the verbage betwen countries, but they’re supposed to have the same overall effect. I’ll be answering in the case of the UK PECR, which is the UK implementation of the ePrivacy Directive.

It seems OGS uses Google Analytics without asking for consent to this tracking, and this is not compliant to the PECR. (Notably, even turning on the anonymization feature in GA would not be sufficient.)

3 Likes

I’ve just been given a 13k rating certificate from IAGA (International AI Go Association) using CrazyStone. Is that relevant at all? Is it recognised?

1 Like

Maybe?

From my quick googling, it looks like that’s just the crazy stone people trying to find an enticing way to sell their software, I don’t think that’s an actual recognized organization by anyone else yet, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, crazy stone is good software, and the ranks they assign might be translatable and therefore relevant, I just don’t personally know.

So first question, what do other people think? Is that useful?

I guess the next question is, if people find that useful, should that be listed under servers, associations, or maybe a new special software category?

4 Likes

Maybe something like “AI assessment”?

1 Like

The days are passing and I feel more and more I just don’t like this project. Even if I did try to give some help.

1. I like enough ogs rating, I don’t see the real need to launch a so ambitious upgrade.

2. It’s based on incomplete data. Aga and Egf members only. That’s not going to help everybody to stay together, with the same consideration.

3. It’s based on external data on which ogs has no control.

4. I don’t like the concept that an ID is a proof. I don’t like if the world organization is evolving in that direction. Even more in my favorite hobby.

5. Ogs has much better things to do, like revamping the tournament system, getting rid of cosmetic problems, and so on.

6. I keep thinking somewhere that a online rating is not the same as a rating based on real life tournaments, they produce different results.

2 Likes

Agreed. I used my rating.

Actually it’s every national Go association in the world and most if not all of the top Go servers.

It’s all well and good that you like our ratings, but almost daily we receive complaints about the current implementation, so some reform is necessary (and indeed has been worked on for quite a while already).
Furthermore, OGS ranks being ‘too strong’ and forcing ‘dan players’ to play as kyus has been a long standing internal and external complaint… So this should hopefully help address those issues at least somewhat and possibly give players all over the world a common reference point :slightly_smiling_face:

They don’t have to be the same, but there can still be a correlation.

5 Likes

No it’s not, it’s clearly said that till now the main data are aga and egf

“To be clear, we’re not considering any of the other server data for our next batch of ranking tuning. We will be looking at EGF and AGA ranks and seeing if we can tune things there so that there is better alignment” (anoek)

You’re confusing correlation with causation. Right now most of our users are American or European, that doesn’t mean everyone else can’t participate or won’t be considered. If you look at the page where you enter your details, there are a great many national options.

1 Like

I edited the citation a bit late, sorry, but that’s it.

@Groin @shinuito Anoek is a one person team, of course he is implementing this is steps… If he tried to do every organisation at once it would stall server development for years

I was thinking of saying something to that effect too because of the list of options that you can put your rank in has non European and American associations. But I think the comment might be more because

I think this focusing on AGA or EGF is either because OGS could be seen as a ‘western’ server or because those associations have expressed interest in OGS either to use for ranked games in their associations or some other reason maybe. I’m sure @anoek could clear that up if the details are ready to be shared (it could be that some things aren’t to be shared while there are discussions for instance).

4 Likes

@BHydden I’m just trying to clarify what I believe @Groin was referring too, whereas I understood what you were referring to.

I don’t have an issue with the new ratings decisions, I’m just trying to be helpful.

3 Likes

I’m not that closed mind to not understand that these aga and egf data are the ones disponible and even I guess other data will stay more decorative as anything else.
Not really the fault of OGS if they are missing. But still just a jump over, like we can manage it if we can’t have them.
So I stay with my post idea.

Some ranks like EGF ranks seem to be available. Why still ask the rank for those if the ID is provided. Will the rank be updated once covid allows otb tournaments again?

I’d like to note that an update is pending for EGF ratings that will bump the EGF ratings of players by about half a stone for mid dan to a stone for DDK: https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17633

3 Likes

Interesting topic. After a full reading, I think I missed the bump you are talking about, where is it mentioned (and by who?) Thanks for helping

I am already aware of this; indeed I am not the plan maker, but I see that resources and time are invested in something which I feel is bit too much a no way street. Just my feedback as I’m asked to adhere to this.