Linking your AGA, EGF, or other organization / server account information to help us improve our ratings and ranking systems

Since 2 months the daily complaints are about that sometimes you lose rank when winning.
I have an idea that this issue could be solved by blocking this information if it’s just a minor temporary adjustment if it’s so necessary that players can’t stand that. Their feeling will be respected as they can’t know if they miss more wins or if the system is a bit cheating them. If as I understood it’s just a small temporary drawback of a good rating system, it should work.

I didn’t see complaints here in the forum in this last months about the difference between rating on different places, I can do myself being a 2k somewhere and a 1d somewhere else, because what I do care is to play here and there players of my strength.

If instead I could feel less shame when showing OGS to new potential members because of all the weird layout problems, or if tournaments organizers may have better tools or… I’m sure I miss other things on the what-to-do list, in my limited view of a lambda ogs user, I feel there will be much more improvement for our awesome server.

3 Likes

In the commission report it is mentioned that we intend to repair rating deflation.

In posts 16 and 17 of the L19 thread, there is some talk about recalculating the rating histories of all players with the new parameters. Such a recalculation will result in changing the ratings and rating histories of all players in the EGD. For most players this will result in a rating increase. If we don’t do that, it would probably take a decade or more to repair the deflation gradually.

Shortly before the 2020 AGM of the EGF we agreed that we propose recalculation to repair the deflation and the AGM had no objections to this.
Before we do, there will be a communication to all the associations to inform their players of this, as was proposed during the AGM.

You can see what the effect of this recalculation on this website: Revised rating list, which is a recalculated version of the EGD ratings at 2020-03-15 (though we might still modify it slightly in the coming months).

6 Likes

This suprises me. Is nobody helping him to build and maintain OGS software and fix bugs?

2 Likes

Originally he was a two-person volunteer team with matburt. As our site supporter numbers increased, anoek quit his job and became a full-time developer for OGS (at a huge pay sacrifice). Technically, matburt is still a member of the dev team, but he has been very busy recently with the job that actually pays his living wage, and so essentially anoek is working solo.

The front end (everything you see) is open source on GitHub, and so anyone is free to review the code and submit fixes or improvements for approval, but the back end (everything that makes the site work) is totally on anoek at the moment.

7 Likes

I know this is an older post but is there any update on this?

Update on what exactly? It’s implemented and working as intended as far as I know?

1 Like

Oh right, I imagine that would want more than 3 months worth of data, at a guess :man_shrugging: also anoek has a lot on his plate right now trying to implement the new round of ratings updates and AI improvements (hopefully the final ones of both for a while!) So I imagine until that is finished and implemented and proven in production this project will be on hold? (All just my guesses)

1 Like

Seems someone else has recently done a similar project, though with less coordination with the other organisations. Still an interesting precursor though.

FB_IMG_1608411915779

6 Likes

The relative strength of AGA higher dans is unexpected for me. I asked Stefan about it and he said that the sample size of AGA 4d+ was 22 players. So probably there were even fewer AGA 5d+.

On the other hand, the sample size of EGF 4d+ was also only 39, so those numbers may also be somewhat inaccurate.

2 Likes

I just got to 1 Dan on Fox. Started there at 3 kyu, ranked up three times.

Was 4 kyu KGS but havent played there in 1-2 years. About 4 kyu AGA based on rating comparison with players IRL, though I dont play tournaments.

Struggling at 7-6 kyu on OGS. I used to be 5 kyu here but I’ve lost rank, even though I’ve gotten better and have actually ranked up on other servers like Fox. I don’t know what it is about OGS but it really hates me. 6 kyu opponents here feel as strong as Fox 1 dans.

2 Likes

Cool that there is again research into this subject.
Curious as to how this relates to the research projects of 2015 and 2018, as mentioned in:

1 Like

Hi, how can we update this information? Ideally it should be editable along with the other profile information, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. As it is it gets progressively out of date. Another approach might be to add the date of the last time it was updated so that it is not implied to be current.

Thanks

Update it here

2 Likes

Im curious if these comparasions will be published someday, would be good time to update the old rank comparison table on senseis library (seems like people are still checking on that)

7 Likes

Is this project still alive? Another forum member pointed me to this thread and i’m happy to collaborate if you’d like my help.

4 Likes

You can provide your information on your ranks in the settings page.

1 Like

I’d like to contribute more on the analytics part. Can also supply some player stats if needed :).

1 Like