Live Tournaments Group

Based on a suggestion by @mgv in Live Tournaments (that I’ve only just now seen, sorry), I’ve created a group for live tournaments.

Live tournaments are a lot of fun, but the live ASTs seem to very rarely start. This could be for a number of reasons including the ASTs starting at inconvenient times and players not being able to schedule time in advance. In light of this, I’d like to propose weekly or biweekly tournaments scheduled at a time when a large number of players are more likely to have time to play.

If you’re interested, the group is here:

I’d like to get started discussing the first tournament and schedule for subsequent tournaments right away. So, I guess my first question is: what time would you most likely be able to participate in a live 19x19 tournament? Weekends are the obvious choice, but we’re all in different time zones.

8 Likes

Awesome, I’d love to play a live tournament this weekend if people have time. I think a time in the middle of the day on weekends could work nicely, might be good to do it on a recurring basis every weekend. OGS has lots of users in the Americas and in Europe, so we would want a time that works well across most time zones there

I think 10 am central time (4 pm utc) could work https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20201003&p1=137&p2=104&p3=136

I think we could try a tournament tomorrow morning tomorrow morning and see how many people we can get. I think Saturday is probably a good day to host tournaments, doing it on the weekend definitely makes the most sense, and I think there’s more likely to be conflicts on Sundays, but either day would probably work well

1 Like

How about solving this like we always do, with a poll:

Times you would be available to start a live tournament

• 11:00 PM
  • 1:00 AM
  • 3:00 AM
  • 5:00 AM
  • 7:00 AM
  • 9:00 AM
  • 11:00 AM
  • 1:00 PM
  • 3:00 PM
  • 5:00 PM
  • 7:00 PM
  • 9:00 PM

0 voters

The times should be localised automatically.

5 Likes

Live 9 x 9 AST do start more or less regularly, but live 19 x 19 are indeed rare.
I think this has to do with the time spent in a tournament. A 9 x 9 live AST is usually finished within 60 minutes, a 19 x 19 takes a few hours. I enter without much hesitation a 9 x 9, but think twice before joining a 19 x 19.

3 Likes

Based on the poll, there are enough time slots that seem to accommodate interested players, that’s good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like a start time of around 16:00 Coordinated Universal Time18:00 Coordinated Universal Time will be our best bet.

What type of tournament would you prefer?
I realize some of these are not at all viable, but I’ll include all of the ones available since I don’t really understand the different types and I’m too lazy to read about them right this second.

• McMahon
  • Simultaneous McMahon
  • Round Robin
  • Swiss
  • Single Elimination
  • Double Elimination

0 voters

How much main time would you like to play with?

• 10 minutes
  • 15 minutes
  • 20 minutes
  • Another length (specify)

0 voters

2 Likes

I prefer at least 20 minutes, but I’m open to anything non-blitz.

1 Like

I like slower bioyomi if any like 20s or more (bad internet here)

1 Like

I’m fine with anything reasonable. I think 30 sec. byo-yomi is a decent idea.

3 Likes

I’m in for tomorrow if everyone else is

2 Likes

I am too. I’d prefer Swiss or McMahon so that players don’t get eliminated and can continue playing in the tourney. (also double elimination is bugged on OGS)

2 Likes

Oh yeah that’s a good point, a swiss tourney may be nicer then.

I’m going to propose that our first tournament starts at 2020-10-10T17:00:00Z and is a swiss tournament with 15 minutes main time and 3x30s bon yomi. That seems to be right in the middle of the settings that people are good with

I think that time should give everyone enough time to see this and join the tournament

2 Likes

Where / how are you going to announce this tournament?

• Tournaments page (site)
  • Live Tournaments Group (forums)
  • Announcements (forums)
  • Live Tournaments Group topic (forums)
  • personal invitations (site / forums)
1 Like

I guess I’ll post a link in this forum thread, in the group chat for the live tournaments group? We can always try and message people we know who are online and get them to join if there aren’t many people in the tournament. I think in the future we’ll want to create the tournaments further in advance, but its always harder to get things going the first time

I can go ahead and create the tournament if there’s no objections

3 Likes

I can’t today, but I’m up for the tournaments in general.

I suggest a 24h notification ahead, or at least enough time to fit into a schedule.

4 Likes

Definitely agree we should create the tournament 24 hours ahead and make sure people have time to plan for it. This is definitely much shorter notice than it should have been, I just wanted to go ahead and do this as a trial run and start the precedent of these tournaments happening on a regular basis.

I went ahead and created https://online-go.com/tournament/66498, hopefully some people will be be able to make it despite the short notice. If not that’s ok

I think same time, same settings every week would be good, that way people can try and fit these into their routine if they’re going to play in them regularly. If there’s any requests to change the settings for the tournament I started

I’ll definitely make sure that we have a tournament ready to go more than 24 hours in advance next weekend, hopefully that will go smoother and more people will be able to make it. If anyone would like to use different settings than https://online-go.com/tournament/66498 please lmk

3 Likes

We could probably go ahead and schedule next week’s tournament now. That way people have plenty of time to plan on participation.

2 Likes

Yeah that sounds like a good idea

First tournament just wrapped up. It went pretty well except I messed up and used slaughter for the secondary pairing method since i guess it was the default, same tournament settings but with strength pairing would have been much better.

Does same time next week, same rules except with pairing fixed sound good to everyone?

5 Likes

Looking forward to it. I’m excited for some closer games next time, but I also was able to learn some things in the games I lost against stronger players this time around. :smiley:

5 Likes

If

• no more slaughter pairing
  • chance on a more even game
  • maybe double elimination

then I am interested.
Guess all beginnings are difficult :smiley:

And could we give this tournament a more sexy name?
“First weekly live tournament” is a bit of a characterless name for a tournament. If we want to advertise this and attract new players, we need a name that stands out.
Something alive and kicking.

2 Likes