Live Tournaments Group

If by this you mean handicap, I would be opposed to that. However, if more people are interested in handicap I will of course go along with it.

Let’s see what everyone thinks.

Would you prefer these tournaments with or without handicap?

• Handicap
  • No Handicap
0 voters
3 Likes

If I have to play to two 1Ds and one 5D (like this tournament), there is not much fun in it for me. I am 9 kyu. Playing dan players is way out of my league. Doesn’t necessarily have to be handicap, but one way or another I would like to have at least a tiny chance.

2 Likes

I’d strongly prefer no handicap, I think the uneven matchups will be helped some by using strength pairing, I’m hoping that with more players across a wider range of skill levels and strength pairing we’ll all have reasonably competitive games without needing handicaps

edit: if most people do want handicap then i guess that’s fine, i just think handicap games get really crazy sometimes when the handicap is large and they aren’t really as enjoyable because of that

4 Likes

Also I’m definitely on board with giving the tournament a more exciting name

3 Likes

I find I play even worse when I have handicap stones already placed (for obvious reasons, I always have the handicap stones). It messes up the way I’m trying to play for a good amount of starting moves. It matters less as the game progresses, but I have already lost my game direction by then.

How about “Weekly Live RSVP”?

2 Likes

Chinese rules allow free placement of handicap stones.

I’m not even sure if I have the time to partake, although I like the idea of the live tournaments, and I’m not necessarily against handicap games.

It’s more of an fyi, in case people did want to do handicap tournaments, and feel that japanese style rules and fixed placement are the only option.

4 Likes

(Probably makes sense as a second separate post)

I mean it’s probably true, but from the other perspective, if you’re playing someone 10 ranks weaker than you without handicap, there’s also the possibility it’s not enjoyable (for some people) with the imbalance.

I think there’s typically a tradeoff between trying to encourage more involvement and trying to host a fair tournament. Coming from a small country with very few go players, where handicap tournaments in person are the norm, I more or less understand this.
The tradeoff again is if you expect low turnout and want to make it more accessible, then you offer handicap games, if it’s unlikely for people to match against players their own rank. If you really want it so that somebody can’t win the tournament because it’s unfair that in all their wins they had large handicaps 4-9 stones, then you make it mcmahon where they have no chance to win, but they still get hopefully even ish games.

3 Likes

Thats a good point, I guess this is something we’ll just have to try and adjust how we’re doing these tournaments over time to get the balance right. The first one had very little notice, and we had a moderate sized turnout, so hopefully with more people and the settings fixed next week we’ll have more evenly matched games for most players.

Week after that we can re-evaluate whether or not to use handicap maybe

2 Likes

How about “Saturday Night Live a GoGo”.

1 Like

10/10 i love it

Even though I don’t like handicap, I’d be fine doing it on occasion, maybe handicap once a month if we do the tournament weekly?

3 Likes

Variety is the spice of life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finally got around to creating this weekend’s tournament, sorry I did it so late, been a crazy week. I’ll make sure and create the next tournament by end of day today so its available for signup all week, should have done that last weekend. This is at the same time as last week’s tournament since that seemed to work resonably well, and I think its easiest if these are always at the same time for planning.

Tournament is here https://online-go.com/tournament/66756

2 Likes

Second tournament just wrapped up, things went pretty well, pairing was more equal this time using strength pairing instead of slaughter. Does anyone have any suggestions for the next tournament? I’ll create it in about 8 hours, want to leave some time for feedback first though.

Next time I’ll also post a news post on the live tournaments group 2 hours before the tournament, and post on the forum as well to remind people.

Thanks for playing everyone

6 Likes

We have our next weekly live tournament in half an hour, sorry for the short notice but I was out of the house this morning and just now got online.

Tournament signup is here https://online-go.com/tournament/66781

2 Likes

Sorry I can’t today, have fun everyone!

1 Like

I plumb forgot. :open_mouth:

1 Like

I would possibly consider playing today if I knew it was on :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely would; and thanks for the reminder :smiley:

1 Like

Today’s tournament is up:

We probably could have been promoting these better and gotten things moving a bit faster, but it’s been a really crazy month for me. Anyway, enjoy this week’s tournament! :slight_smile:

5 Likes