Live Tournaments Group

Next weekend’s live tournament has been scheduled for 2020-11-07T17:00:00Z.

Starting an hour earlier (for those who will have a time change), but everything else is the same as the past few weeks.

4 Likes

We were laying the carpets this afternoon (I have no idea if this is an expression, we put the rags and carpets and stuff on the floors for winter). I guess I mixed times with winter time and all, it took longer than I thought :-(. I’ll be there next week tho :-).

2 Likes

Thanks for creating those @rubymineshaft, sorry I forgot, been a crazy week

1 Like

wakes up disheveled and in dire need of caffeine

Wait, did we have one yesterday?..

2 Likes

I also forgot about it

3 Likes

I forgot too. There was too much excitement yesterday.

2 Likes

Well just because you ask, from my own experience I never heard/see that “putting the carpet for the winter” thing before. Charming idea, make me ask if it’s something a bit related to Greek way of life (and nice weather I guess too)?
Ok sorry I m getting a bit off-topic too.

People leave carpets on the floors all year round? I guess for closer to the poles on each side (North/ South) it makes sense, but if we keep carpets in August we will probably die from the heat, it’s like wearing a jacket in 40C, but house edition.

*I know people here leave out decorative carpets during Spring/ Summer/ Autumn sometimes.

1 Like

We missed last night, but is anyone up for having one tonight?

1 Like

1 Like

I have been following this thread but didn’t make it to any of the tournaments. I have joined the automatic 13x13 blitz tournament that happens Saturday at 15:30 UTC once or twice and would be interested in an event around that time, especially on one of the smaller boards!

2 Likes

This was all set up by @RubyMineshaft and @mgv. Maybe they want to share their experiences with you.
Maybe revive their group if they are interested?
Loved @pdg137’s suggestion for smaller board.

3 Likes

Hey, sorry I’ve been absent for a bit, been super busy and haven’t been on ogs forums much recently. Yeah, @S_Alexander would definitely be cool to get a live tournament going soon. I think we had decent turnout the first couple times just announcing here, and on the english chatroom. It is probably a good idea to do 2 announcements for it, one a while before the tournament and one like an hour before, I made a mistake a couple times of only planning stuff right before it happened

If you want i think you can make a tournament in the live tournaments group? If not then I can help you with that. It would be cool to try and get this going again, maybe with the end of the year coming up people will have more time again.

@Atorrante @pdg137 Yeah, a small board live tournament could be cool to try out, maybe that would work a bit better because games would go quickly, so fewer people would time out of the tournament

3 Likes

Is anyone still up for these?

I’d love to have another one tomorrow.

3 Likes

I would love to join one and would suggest something like 13x13, 10m+5x30s, to keep it kind of fast but slower than the automatic blitz tournament. Double elimination to make it as different as possible from that one?

One idea I had was to schedule it for 15:30 UTC, right on top of the automatic one, or a few minutes later. There are usually a few people joining that tournament on the weekends. We can go into the lobby for it and advertise ours to anyone waiting there, try to steal them away.

I wasn’t quite ready for today, but let’s absolutely start this back up! I’m down for next weekend if you guys want to play :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s getting kind of late, who’s up for a tournament? I’m going to try some quick polls:

What time?
  • 2021-01-31T15:30:00Z (compete with ASW 13x13)
  • 2021-01-31T17:00:00Z
  • 2021-01-31T18:00:00Z
  • 2021-01-31T19:00:00Z

0 voters

What type?
  • 9x9, 5m + 3x30
  • 13x13, 10m + 3x30
  • 19x19, 15m + 3x30

0 voters

If there’s any interest I’ll set one up!

So is it possible to predict a round duration and number of rounds?

Maybe Fischer time would give a more accurate round duration than byoyomi ovetime?

From looking at the history of this group, a 19x19 round takes 30-40 minutes, and a Swiss tournament has 3-4 rounds. Why would Fischer time be more predictable?

When you have (say) 20 seconds byoyomi, it will vary from move to move and person to person how much of that time will be wasted (not used), because it is hard to use all of that 20 seconds on each and every move.
With Fischer time, any unused time will be kept as remaining time. So the maximum duration of a round can be predicted more accurately.