Live Tournaments Group

It’s getting kind of late, who’s up for a tournament? I’m going to try some quick polls:

What time?
  • 2021-01-31T15:30:00Z (compete with ASW 13x13)
  • 2021-01-31T17:00:00Z
  • 2021-01-31T18:00:00Z
  • 2021-01-31T19:00:00Z

0 voters

What type?
  • 9x9, 5m + 3x30
  • 13x13, 10m + 3x30
  • 19x19, 15m + 3x30

0 voters

If there’s any interest I’ll set one up!

So is it possible to predict a round duration and number of rounds?

Maybe Fischer time would give a more accurate round duration than byoyomi ovetime?

From looking at the history of this group, a 19x19 round takes 30-40 minutes, and a Swiss tournament has 3-4 rounds. Why would Fischer time be more predictable?

When you have (say) 20 seconds byoyomi, it will vary from move to move and person to person how much of that time will be wasted (not used), because it is hard to use all of that 20 seconds on each and every move.
With Fischer time, any unused time will be kept as remaining time. So the maximum duration of a round can be predicted more accurately.

Looks like not enough for a tournament, let’s try again next week!

I’ll make a live one for tomorrow, it’s a good way to get some games for the challenge.

1 Like

Here’s something I was thinking might be fun:

Is that kind of thing interesting to anyone here?

Do we have enough crazy people on OGS to make this work?

11 rounds of fast live games lasting hours (I hope).

2 Likes

6.30 in the morning is killing me.

Perfect. That’s how it’s meant to feel, though I was aiming for 5:30am in Holland (The official start time of Elfstedentochts I believe) so I hope I got that right.

1 Like

You meant to exclude me? :cry::cry::cry:
I’m going to shed my lonely tears in the corner.
:cry:

1 Like

Not at all. You’ve got a whole week to adjust your body clock. I don’t think completing an Elfstedentocht should come easy. Is your determination excluding you? :wink: I hope not. There’s still time to change your mind. :smiley:

I’ll admire y’all from afar. :kissing_heart: :raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

This is also traditional for an Elfstedentocht, In great and enthusiastic numbers.

If it goes ahead, someone live-streaming highlights from a virtual helicopter would be good. Anyone?

1 Like

So at ~20 minutes/round we’re looking at 3.5 to 4 hours? It would be almost the perfect time for such a thing here in UTC-8…

1 Like

It may even be slower with good participation. The slowest game of each round holds up the next round ofc. Also. +12s fischer is significantly slower than +12s byo-yomi or similar.

Oh wait, it’s McMahon? How does that work for a live tournament?

A bit like swiss but with a fixed number of rounds. McMahon also has bars (categories) that apply some -ve points to people that get easier games but for this tournament I’ve set the bars so low they should be irrelevant.

McMahon: Not to be confused with the more common Simultaneous McMahon. There are no simultaneous games unless a bug rears its ugly head.

1 Like

How do you incorporate “klunen” into your Elfstedentochts tournament?

1 Like

Unfortunately there are a number of elements that are hard to incorporate into the event. For example; The gentleman that attempts backstroke on the ice before being removed by police.

If you are referring to my new profile pic then I will arrange something more aerodynamic for the occasion. 5days 7hours to go.

1 Like