Maybe 2024 will be better

It took me a bit to understand the headline of this article properly. At first, I thought it was talking about the emergence of the periodical cicadas.

“Sensational upset awakens USA from 100-year cricketing hibernation”

Edit: the one-box created for this article actually uses a different headline

6 Likes

I would put good money on them never having a test team though.

Well, yeah, how could a cicada even hold the ball or bat?

1 Like

I like how this article, similar to Tony Hawk’s career, just seamlessly transitions into shilling for Starbucks.

1 Like

I’d bet that the editors did that on purpose.

<edit>

Oh. I confused crickets with cicadas (thx for mentioning cicadas, @yebellz)

</edit>

How d’ya like them noodles?

5 Likes
1 Like

The crop circles of the 2020s?

3 Likes

Maybe 2024 will be better - for me to start playing Shogi at https://lishogi.org/

2 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/power-blackout-hits-montenegro-bosnia-albania-croatias-adriatic-coast-2024-06-21/

There is no electricity in four countries, most of Bosnia, Croatia, Albania, Montenegro.

A major power outage hit Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania and most of Croatia’s coast on Friday, disrupting businesses, shutting down traffic lights and leaving people sweltering without air conditioning in the middle of a heatwave.

Electricity and wifi networks went down from around 1 p.m. (1100 GMT), officials and social media users said.

Many lost water in Podgorica as pumps stopped working, locals reported. Air conditioners shut down and ice cream melted in tourist shops.

There was also traffic gridlock in the Croatian coastal city of Split, state TV HRT reported.

9 Likes

I like how this was a specific issue that the journalist found worth mentioning among the other impacts

6 Likes

Yes, because you cannot re-freeze ice cream. Of course everything else defrosted as well, but even if that is beyond the scope/specs of all those products, once the power returns they will most probably be refrozen and, eventually, used and served/sold.

You cannot write that as a journalist though or you will get sued to oblivion. So, the “standard innuendo” is to talk about the ice cream. :wink:

3 Likes

I loopholes love and cannot tell,
If evil is the cure,
Or if it’s quite the remedy,
Required to secure,
For customers the greater good,
Of safety in their main,
Or if the knot were far to frill,
And suits were best rent twain

The comment “Finally porch pirating ranked pvp” really made my day :sweat_smile:

On a more serious note, I am not sure I understand how that system even works. What delivery company leaves an unattended package on a porch and says “ok, job’s done it is delivered”? :thinking: Very odd.

They all do this. This is the normal way of things these days.

5 Likes

I am amazed by this, especially since there seem to be a trend of “porch thieves” taking the packages. I mean, all they need to do is just follow the delivery truck around and just pick up the stuff. Might as well deliver them directly to the thieves.
Can you at least tell them to not deliver your package and go pick it up yourself, from their offices or something?

Edit:
The comments deliver again:

I thought of a new build
Step 1) get a buddy and follow delivery driver
Step 2) hope that a porch pirate is also following delivery driver
Step 3) when the porch pirate goes for the loot, get your buddy to steal his car

And then the porch thieves will make the surprise move of driving a manual gearbox car, so it is statistically unstealable :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

While there is such a trend, the rate of theft/fraud is often low enough that still, in many places, the delivery companies are deliberately less careful, despite the fact that the courier and seller are the ones that are usually liable in such cases. It’s a calculated business decision that the improved efficiency outweighs the risk of theft/fraud.

Shipping to the pickup location is quite commonly available as an option. However, even the buyer might weigh convenience of delivery to their home vs the risk of theft (which is ultimately just the inconvenience of a delay, since the seller will usually cover such a loss and just reship a replacement for free).

3 Likes

Quite conserving … I meant, concerning.

1 Like

When you have a TV personality that has no prior knowledge of the issue come and correct the government on “common sense” over said issue, then that might explain a lot of things.

1 Like