Mild annoyances about Go - add your own :-)

Here, we have the same fee that Vsotvep describes, except that it’s not called ‘tax’, but ‘fee’, and it’s not collected at the door, but you get annoying letters… If you are poor, you can get exempted from the fee, but only under certain circumstances, so that can get complicated.

3 Likes

As a beginner, I’m mildly annoyed that the stones are placed on the line intersections rather than in the squares. It just seems like it would be easier to count and read the squares. Is there any benefit / significance to the game by placing the stones on intersections that I’m not aware of?

8 Likes

However, welcome to the forums! :wink:

10 Likes

Since AI I am annoyed with the all the early 3x3 invasions. It seems to have limited the options of the game.

7 Likes

You’ll get used to it soon enough. I think it’s mainly a matter of convention and tradition. When you place a stone on an intersection, you can view the lines coming out from that stone as pointing to the liberties (empty intersections) that it is adjacent to.

8 Likes

Someone’s never lived in England…

5 Likes

The only one I see is when playing go in a hammock.

1 Like

Funny, I have the same with chess. Why don’t they place the pieces on the intersections? It would make it all a lot easier.

But okay, another argument for why

Go is better than chess

:laughing:

4 Likes

… that byo yomi is the most common time setting and not Fischer. With Fischer you get to save up a minute or two in the opening and can avoid timing out during the eventual random lag spike. And Fischer just makes more sense anyway.

6 Likes

Wasn’t there some bloke on reddit, or even here, who reported a glitch saying his stones are always on the intersections when they should be in the fields?

5 Likes

Well, its annoyed me if i search GO(GO/IGO is easier to spell :p) on the google some random app appear on result, meanwhile IGO in my language is also slang for “pretty girls” usually known as Th*t.

It’s kinda annoyed me because It’s hard to get my friends into Playing GO because no one plays GO around my neighbourhood/area.

It’s mildly annoyed me when there is no good igo Anime/manga these past years meanwhile there are many shogi (i know shogi is more popular but still)

It’s annoyed me, why i don’t learn this when i was a kid back when i watch HikaGO

It’s annoyed me when someone said There is no personality in GO It’s just stone

It’s kinda annoyed when it hard to find a game

It’s mildly annoyed me when someone didn’t resigns when they know that they’re losing

7 Likes

You know what’s annoying as a beginner reading your first book on strategy? When you read half the book until you realize that Go Seigen is not some variant or special position of Go.

10 Likes

What a sweet memory :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, made me laugh XD Yebellz was right though, I’m used to it now

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m mildly annoyed when people don’t let me be mildly annoyed. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

that was fuuny!

2 Likes

I used goe for a while, probably in late 2016 (though I’m not exactly sure when it was).

From top to bottom, my current preferences are:

1. Go
  2. go
  3. , , and other diacritical versions
  4. goe or goh, with or without capitalisation
  5. Oriental names: weiqi (ideally without tone-marking), igo, baduk
  6. GO

I’ve got to say, my mild Go annoyance is when people write GO. It’s not an acronym!

I had the same bother with the Chinese English orthography APP for app(lication).

2 Likes

Ughh, so nice!
Throwing in also: gø
(børk børk)

3 Likes

Wi nøt trei ą høliday on ØGS this yër?

2 Likes