Molossus 1: A 3h 6x 1m Tourney

Molossus 1: A 3h 6x 1m Tourney

Molossus is an opportunity to play some serious, slow time control, games over the course of multiple sessions.

More Info

Each week starting on Sunday when the new pairings are posted, you will have one opponent with whom you will arrange and play your game.

Molossus 1 will take several weeks to complete. If there are 5 or fewer players, it will be played round-robin, otherwise it will be in multiple round-robin groups of 3-5 players of similar skill each. Ties in the final standings will simply be considered as ties; no tie-breaks.

The pairings and results are here. It’s a wiki, so feel free to edit in your session times and results. Byes, if present, count as 0 points.

The name comes from a poetic foot consisting of three long syllables (stressed in modern English meter).

Sealed Tourney may be considered a “Molossus 0”, so to speak.

Please comment in post or pm if you believe I have overlooked something in these rules.

Game Rules

All games should be unranked and played using NZD Rules and 7.0 komi on OGS . Time control should be set to byo-yomi with a main time of 3 hours for each player and 6 periods of 1 minute each.

Allowed Aids

Allowed:

• Game Chat/Malko Log

Allowed between (but not during) sessions:

• Playing out variations on electronic and/or physical boards

Disallowed:

• Consulting with other humans regarding the game
  • Using AI (including but not limited to LeelaZero, Katago, and score estimators)
  • Using position and/or game databases (including but not limited to Waltheri and joseki or fuseki dictionaries)

Scheduling

Each week, each participant should contact their designated opponent via forum and/or OGS pm. The two players should make mutual reasonable effort to arrange a time UTC at which they can both begin each of their two sessions, optimally by the end of the following weekend.

Upon reaching agreement, one of the players should update the pairings post accordingly.

Inability to Schedule Sessions

While players are highly encouraged to make all reasonable effort to schedule and complete their game within the week, leeway will be extended if the following conditions are met:
a) they can show reasonable effort on their part to arrange the game in a timely manner
b) they are not unduly postponing the Tourney by their delay.

If one player is unresponsive to attempts by the other to arrange the game, the second player may request an adjudicated win by forfeit.

If both players are unable to arrange a mutually agreeable game time despite mutual effort, they can request an adjudicated draw.

Sealed Move

Each game will be played over two sessions. The first session will conclude, if not ending due to the game being completed, with a sealed move, which will only be revealed to the opponent at the advent of the next session.

The first session will be played for three hours, at which point the players may continue playing on for as long as they like, but they now both have the option to seal a move on their turn instead of playing, which will bring the session to a close when done.

Boilerplate

When the first session begins, one of the players must make a note in chat containing the following information (exact wording not required as long as the information is clearly communicated):
This game is being played over two sessions using a sealed move between the sessions. This is session one, starting at <time>.
After three hours, one player will seal a move and pause the game. The game will resume and be played to completion at <resumption time/date>.

One of the players should update the pairings post with a link to their game so that other players can view it.

When the second session begins, one of the players must make a note in chat containing the following information (exact wording not required as long as the information is clearly communicated):
This is session two, which will last until the game is complete, starting at <time>.

This procedure is intended to ensure that the players are on the same page, as well as explaining what is going on to future and current spectators.

How to Seal a Move

When one player (during session 1, 3h+ in) decides to seal a move, instead of playing it on the board, they should enact the following procedure, in order:

1. Type the sealed move into the Malkovich Log (Accessed by left-clicking on the word “chat” to the left of the chat input box. It will be visible to spectators but not the opponent until after the game. (alternatively, you may use a hash to conceal your move and paste the hash in the game chat)).
  2. Pause the game. (OGS will still think it is the sealing player’s turn)
  3. Inform the opponent in game chat that you have sealed your move.

It is the responsibility of the player sealing the move to ensure it is unambiguous and legal. Unpausing by either player before they reconvene for session two is grounds for adjudicated loss by forfeit. Play of moves (with the exception of the sealed moves at the beginning of the second session) while the game is paused is disallowed.

When both players arrive for the resumption of the game, the player who sealed a move should play on the board their sealed move, and then unpause the game. No moves other than the sealed move may be played while the game is paused.

If one player fails to show up, the players may work it out for themselves or ask a moderator or the TD for a win by forfeit to the present player at the present player’s discretion.

Thereafter the game continues normally to conclusion.

Moderation

Autarchic Obfuscation

Rights of the TD:

• To update the rules, such as to codify precedent or to prophylactically handle ambiguities or vaugities in the rules.
  • To make final decisions regarding cases in the following situations:
    • The case is appealed at the discretion of the moderator handling the case.
    • Two or more moderators both having valid claims to original jurisdiction in the case have arrived at different rulings and are unable to reconcile the discrepancy among themselves.
    • A moderator’s ruling on a case has failed to adhere to reasonable application of the rules, in the TD’s estimation.
    • The TD chooses to exercise original jurisdiction on any case, esp. as pertains to an ambiguity or vagueness in these rules, at their discretion.
  • To assign original jurisdiction to a moderator of their choice in the case that no moderator has yet had it.
  • To decline appellate jurisdiction of a particular case in favor of the decision of the moderator having original jurisdiction.
  • To adjudicate individual games as wins, losses, or draws.
  • To disqualify players from the tourney.
  • To appoint moderators at discretion, contingent on the candidate’s agreement.
  • To play in the tourney.

Rights of Moderators:

• To make rulings regarding the application of these rules to specific tournament situations.
  • To adjudicate individual games as wins, losses, or draws in accordance with these rules.
  • To appeal cases to the TD at their discretion.

Rights of Players:

• To contact a moderator or the TD (or to ping them all, or all online ones, or any other subset) to ask for a ruling regarding a dispute between them and one or more other players.
  • To ask the moderator with original jurisdiction over a case which they are involved in to appeal the case to the TD.
  • To ask the TD to review a case.

In any case involving one or more moderators and/or the TD, a disinterested moderator or TD should take original jurisdiction. If no such person exists, the TD should find a 3rd party to moderate the case, making all reasonable efforts to make such party amenable to all interested parties.

Participants

In order to join, pm me (@Samraku) either here or on OGS, or post in this thread, and I will add you to the list, in alphabetical CWM FJORD BANK GLYPHS VEXT QUIZ order.

The tourney will begin on Sun., 9 Aug., 2020 with the following participants (so far):

• chartreuse
  • jialechen5581
  • GOkyle
  • Samraku
  • S_Alexander
2 Likes

Pairings and Results

Week 1 (9 Aug., 2020)

Week 2 (16 Aug., 2020)

Week 3 (23 Aug., 2020)

Week 4 (30 Aug., 2020)

Week 5 (6 Sept., 2020)

Final Standings

1. @GOkyle (3) - @chartreuse (3)
  2. –
  3. @S_Alexander (2)
  4. jialechen5581 (1) - Samraku (1)
  5. –
1 Like

That’s really interesting, I just can’t tell yet if I could have enough free time and flexibility as I have some other priorities these days. Still hope I can join

1 Like

@chartreuse @Goule

Have you decided in favor of joining?

Sure, I’m in.

1 Like

Still no guarantee with my schedule so no, sorry have fun all of you

1 Like

Yes, I’m in! Evidently replied to the wrong thread.

1 Like

I have entered all of the pairings for Molossus 1 into the pairings post above.

Good luck and have fun to all participants!

(note: I have not attempted to normalize the number of times each player gets Black or White, but simply made it random)

We played the game with chart a few days ago

Who is jialechen5581, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

jialechen5581 is an AGA low dan who joined for the US Go Congress. I don’t know them outside of OGS.

1 Like

I’m excited for Week 2 as this will be my first game since I had the bye round 1. Have a nice break, GOkyle. :smiley:

2 Likes

Good luck to all participants this round!

2 Likes

Been a bit caught up with the storms, being in Louisiana. I’ve reached out to @jialechen5581 to schedule.

2 Likes

A bit late of a notice, but Week 4 has begun! It’s beginning to look like GOkyle may repeat his performance in Molossus 0, unless S_Alexander pulls an upset.

1 Like

The final week of Molossus 1 has arrived! Quite cool that we have the top two from the standings battling it out this week.

The final results are in and there is a tie for first between the winner of Sealed Tourney, @GOkyle, and another Sealed Tourney veteran, @chartreuse!

@S_Alexander has secured third place, trailing first by only a game, while @jialechen5581 and @Samraku round out the group with one win apiece.

Congratulations and thank you to all the players for many closely contested games, to those who spectated on the games as they were being played for the excitement you lent to the games, as well as again to our winners, GOkyle and chartreuse.

Thank you again to everyone who participated or observed this event; I hope to see all of you again (along with some new faces) for Molossus 2!

1 Like

Molossus 2 Signup Open

Signups for Molossus 2 are now open!

Once December hits, I don’t know how much time people will have for these, so this will be the last Molossus until January 2021.

See you there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely! Always a lot of fun, great games and as always plenty to review!

1 Like