My opponent left, I waited 29 min

I think this is the issue that is troubling me about this whole thing. I suspect that the sandbaggers that are complained about and those whose games are annulled are in the main not really trying to sandbag especially. While those who are actually sandbagging are not so easily caught if at all.

I have no data of course but if my hypothesis is along the right lines then I wonder if the cure is worse than the disease. Or if there should be as much effort directed to it as other sources of inaccuracies in the ranking system (misclick, drunk players etc)

2 Likes

That sometimes happens when multiple players use the same account. I feel like Iā€™ve played an account where students have been switching off and the rank is completely useless.

But for a single person to do that, taking such care to manipulate rank doesnā€™t seem worth the effort :joy:

At the risk of getting too philosophical or legal about this, isnā€™t another interpretation than annulment means the thing is treated as never having happened. In that case how can you win something that didnā€™t happen? And if something is changed from having happened (that you won) to not having happened (that by definition you cannot win since there was nothing to win) then your win has been ā€œtaken awayā€.

Iā€™m not arguing for one interpretation of another. I just think that if we get to this level of analysis it can be argued either way and will not help us move forward.

4 Likes

Misreading is not a part of skill now?!

You know what, unless you annul all misclicks and stuff, you just do what you want because you can.
Whatever.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that luck is a skill :wink: but also that could be argued as an opinion since not everyone thinks luck is a skill.

I actually believe BIBA use to run a school and had an account where they would have all of there students use it at the same time and they would collectively come up with the next move together and they all ranged from kyu to high dan. Not positive on that but I am almost certain. Was really interesting stuff but that is another topic in itself.

2 Likes

After Steve manages to reach 15k undetected, he could just play unranked games against 15k (he doesnā€™t care about his rating anyway).

The ā€œsandbagger game annullment policyā€ does not protect his opponents from having a bad experience of getting sandbagged, because the games are already unranked. Or will their opponents not be bothered, because those games are unranked?

Will this type of sandbagger stay under the radar? Or is his behaviour not even violating any OGS rules?

3 Likes

Itā€™s not even sandbagging, really. If I donā€™t ever play a ranked game on OGS again (as I plan to do) but keep getting stronger by playing unranked games, am I forced to play ranked games here and there so that my rank adjusts?

Itā€™s not my fault if I get stronger and my rank doesnā€™t show it, if I donā€™t want to play ranked games. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

No, I know a couple people who canā€™t stand to play ranked. And they stay a [?] forever :slight_smile:

If one day they decide to start playing ranked, I imagine they will have few wonky match up, but it will remedy itself quickly enough. The system was built to handle it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

That sounds really interesting; ut Iā€™d prefer if none of the players knew each otherā€™s ranks. People just default to doing whatever the strongest/most assertive person says and thatā€™s not very interesting to me.

1 Like

For learning purposes I would also prefer if none of knew the ranks of each other. I know the account was 9dan though. So I definitely assume it was almost always what the higher rated player said.

1 Like

This one. You canā€™t sandbag in unranked.

5 Likes

Yeah a lot is lost in learning if people canā€™t try out their ideas and see them fail.

If the strong player let the weaker player make the macro choices, and then the string player had to deal with the sequences and struggle to make it a good outcome, it would probably be beneficial learning for both.

Now thereā€™s a radical suggestion. How about we hide ranks altogether!?

Why do we really need to know our rank?

If the answer is ā€œto see progressā€ ā€¦ how about have it visible only on the rating graph. So you can see progress, but it is not a widespread tool for ego boosting and disputeā€¦

3 Likes

I think this hidden rank suggestion was in the context of a team playing not a general suggestion.
[Although I do like hide ranks option]

1 Like

Right - seriously ā€¦ ranks cause so much trouble. Why do we need to have them on display?

4 Likes

The rank hide option is interesting - Iā€™ll use it over the next couple of days, see how that infleunces my play and overall feeling.

Besides that ranks are a huge motivator. After all it is a competitive game for the moment (and any foreseeable future).

But then how will I boost my ego??

But seriously, I think rank is actually a very useful tool, and not just to see improvement. One example is I meet another player IRL and want to know if itā€™s logical to start even or throw a couple stones on. Itā€™s useful to be able to mention rank on a well-known server like OGS.

4 Likes

I had my first games without knowing either my own or my opponents rank - so far it is enjoyable and relaxed - it will take some time to really build myself an opinion tho. ^^

I opened a new thread on this subject, see how others use it: Do you use the "Hide ranks and ratings" option?

1 Like

The only reason I like to play bots :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like