Neat problems from real games

The variation from @Groin was different from the one I had in my mind, and better since it works even without the last dame that white filled. See demo board linked above for variations.

So in the game I should have started inside immediately instead of taking the dame and giving black the chance to protect!

3 Likes

I’m white in this game and I’m already way behind, but I didn’t resign yet…

Black to play and make me resign! :wink:

6 Likes

Start the O4 ko?

Spoiler

I believe the point may be that O4 does not result in a Ko fight.

5 Likes

Ah!!

Indeed! This looks super easy in hindsight, but it was a blindspot for me in the game.

3 Likes

Black to play

2 Likes

From Jakobb’s stream: Black to play.

2 Likes

Another Jakob problem.

White has just exchanged A for B: can the X stone now escape?

1 Like

Can white save the marked stones?

3 Likes

Does White need a ladder? (Edit: this question refers to the original diagram without the stone at F8.)

No

Nope! I don’t think it matters for this problem whether white has the ladder or not, but I added another stone at F8 to make it clearer.

Since it’s quite a hard problem, I’ll spoil that there is a way for white to save the stones, but with strongest resistance from black it will be a ko :slight_smile:

I believe that b3 as a first move can’t hurt. And then it presumably involves blacks liberty shortage.

2 Likes

complex life and death problem only helps high d players, not me. :joy:

The following variation agrees with the hints.

click

Capture

2 Likes
You got it!

I found it cool that B3 must be played immediately - if white tries to start with D8 and get B3 in later it doesn’t work anymore.

1 Like

BTW, I’ve posted 21 problems from my games here: Tsumegos from real games • Life In 19x19

2 Likes

Does somebody know where we can find a link to the problem answer?