New book: Essential GO Proverbs - First impressions

To access the synopsis of this exceptional book by John Power, I kindly direct you to the link shared by Richard Bozulich in his announcement: https://kiseidopublishing.com/Other.htm.

It has been only a week since I began studying this book, and I am utterly amazed by the outstanding quality of its content. I felt compelled to share my initial impressions on the forum and eagerly await contributions from fellow readers in the near future.

This monumental work spans 522 pages and provides a comprehensive in-depth analysis of 104 proverbs. These proverbs are thoughtfully categorized into nine chapters, covering various aspects of the game, such as Life and Death, Capturing Races, Tactics, Strategy, and more. Essentially, it encompasses all fundamental aspects of the game.

What truly distinguishes this book is its extensive use of examples for each proverb, highlighting their relevance to actual play. These examples are drawn from real games, and at the end of each “lesson,” a couple of problems are presented. What could be better to enhance the learning process than this combination of theory, practical application, and problem-solving?

The book’s layout is excellent, providing a pleasurable reading experience. Despite the author’s mention that reading the book in a specific order is not necessary, I personally prefer to follow it sequentially. Additionally, I have started to lay out many diagrams on a physical board to train my reading and visualization skills.

Through its meticulous analysis of proverbs and principles, this book offers a remarkable wealth of foundational knowledge - offered in basic chunks for easy memorization - that is begging to be studied and internalized. This book is undeniably a masterpiece. If I were ever banished to an island and permitted to bring only one go book, “Essential Go Proverbs” would unequivocally be my choice.

Paul Schmit, 2k EGF

10 Likes

Welcome to OGS.

Wondering why posted two identical posts?

2 Likes

I think they wanted it to show both in Announcements and Learning Resources.

It kinda made sense to me, so I resisted the urge to delete one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A link would have done the job.

Anyway there is too much enthusiasm and superlative to let me believe it’s so good.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a strong recommendation from another user, a little stronger than myself, on reddit.

3 Likes

All the buzz about whether there should have been two posts is certainly generating good publicity :wink:

1 Like

I understand your skepticism but I just couldn’t control my excitement. The book is so much more than just another compilation of proverbs, otherwise, I probably would have already put the book on my bookshelf for some uncertain use in the future. Through its multiple examples in each topic, it rather comes along as a textbook in the science of go.

1 Like

(Schaak en Gowinkel Het Paard)

250 euro for hardcover (collector’s edition), 75 euro for pocket/softcover is a lot of money.

5 Likes

digital version is 25$ on https://gobooks.com

I have it, it looks very cool, now I just need some focus to read it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The quality of the softcover version for 75 € is excellent, it doesn’t look like it will fall apart anytime soon. The number of pages corresponds to about two conventional go books, considering the large format with up to ten diagrams on a page you get at least three books in one. John Power is the author of “Invincible”, he was the founder of the Go World magazine, this book basically reflects a lifelong experience in go publishing. This book is worth much more than 75 €.

2 Likes

Link to recommendation on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/13mnef7/comment/jkw4w22/

It’s an incredibly good book so far. It will definitely be a mainstay in future Go Education. Even for this humble fox 8d it’s been a goldmine so far and for kyu players it would be a truly excellent textbook to get all of the fundamentals down-pat and rapidly accelerate their growth.

3 Likes

Did you pay more?
:grinning:

1 Like

Let’s be reasonable here. If the digital version is 25 (let’s ignore the typesetting and simplistically call this “the price of the content alone”) and the printed version is 75, that means that they priced the printing cost at 50. That is objectively steep.

I actually bought the book because I really like the concept and I wanted to support the whole endeavor (haven’t read it yet), but let us not pretend that spending 75euros for a single paperback book is/was not extravagant.

5 Likes

echos heard of college students gasping at the price of college textbooks

5 Likes

good point … I do not even want to know where those prices have skyrocketed to O_o

Seeing as I just paid £80 for dinner for 2, and £130 per night to stay in a fairly crappy apartment, €75 for a 500 page go book that would deliver value and enjoyment for a much longer period than either of those things seems quite reasonable. Particularly given the level of effort and expertise that has gone into its creation far exceeds either of those 2 things I mentioned.

3 Likes

According to the schaak en go (chess and go) shop, this book has been 45 years in the making.

Over the years I must have spent 100+ enjoyable hours with John Power’s Invincible, rereading the stories and replaying the games in it many times. So I’ll definitely buy a copy of Essential Go Proverbs.

2 Likes

Go books with this page format usually cost at least 0.10 € per page, sometimes up to 0.20 € per page. This one costs 0.14 € / page, this seems a reasonable price to pay for a book which needed a lot of work. So it’s on my list - after I’ve finished with the one I just started.

2 Likes

Same :slight_smile: (Although I admit I thought I was buying hardback at the time, I’m not really fussed)

1 Like

I did! I first bought the normal edition from Hebsacker Verlag in Germany. When I learned about the hardcover collector’s edition, I ordered a copy with Schaak en Go in Amsterdam before they were sold out. Of course, 250 € is a lot of money but the content is just outstanding.
Maybe the best value-for-money deal I ever made.

4 Likes