New experimental nav bar available

Don’t know how that bug slipped in, it wasn’t always like that.

Click your name, click profile. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m glad search is directly in the top bar now, but I think it might be better for mobile users if it were a dropdown icon on the right?

4 Likes

if you Ctrl click it, profile should open in new tab instantly

1 Like

Neat idea. Is that a suggestion or does it already do that? I’m on mobile rn and can’t test.

1 Like

it does that on all places with your name except of new top right menu

2 Likes

Yeah but your name looks different there so you can expect different functionality. Still, could be useful and I think not too hard to add that option…

How everything looks is a much bigger deal / harder to change than specific functionality of buttons.

1 Like

also, when you just hover mouse over Play, Learn, … buttons, menu opens automatically
but, when you hover over your name at top right, menu doesn’t open, it is wrong

1 Like

Should friends and notifications also open on hover?

1 Like

that menu has important options that are hidden

I don’t know if notifications are important enough or not

It’s definitely the case that there’s a strong expectation that you find your profile stuff under your avatar in the top right (eg facebook, gmail, insta). I don’t see any facebook help posts asking for how to find my account information.

(Some sites also have a little triangle to emphasise there’s stuff under there (eg github))

A difference in the new Nav bar is that the avatar has gone and it’s now a “text string”. I wonder if this dilutes the sense that one can click on it to find the profile stuff?

7 Likes

The avatar definitely feels more “profile” related.

It’s not immediately obvious that the name in the top right is a button at all and not just a label.

4 Likes

No. I know where to find my profile. I said I miss a direct link in the top bar. Have a one click route for a few important things in the nav bar is important and that I think the player profile is one of them was my feedback.

4 Likes

I like the new layout! But I agree with others here that the big lists like tournaments seem out of place in the menu. Maybe they could just be removed, and we could add a list of your tournaments to the tournaments page, your groups on the groups page, etc.?

Another thing I noticed is that if you’re already on the tournaments page, tapping tournaments doesn’t navigate anywhere, but instead just draws an underline. Can we make them always do something instead of trying to be smart?

Forums not being under community is weird, as is Games under Learn, and the duplicated entry for “Play”.

I do miss having a big home page logo button to click when I want to just go back to the top from wherever I am.

Some unintended weird stuff happens with the menu if you touch-scroll past the bottom or scroll the search area.

On the more OCD side, the vertical alignment here bugs me:

I think the icon+number parts should be vertically centered like everything else, but they are a little closer to the top than the bottom.

EDIT: oh, and “tools” seems to not do anything.

9 Likes

This seems to be a bug. My guess is that the bug emerged after adding the “Home” button, because it has no subcategories.

3 Likes

Chat notifications don’t show on the main bar with the new UI. I love the new UI but until chat notifications work it’s a total deal breaker for me.

a567b772-a0f5-446c-8f90-53770162d341

4 Likes

I generally find the experimental bar to be cleaner than the old one. There are a few things I do find strange and/or confusing with this one though.

• The Logo is silently dropped, which makes the website feel weirdly generic.
    Actually, there is no other place where the logo appears in the whole website (other than the forums, which are external), not even in the About page. I already checked every conceivable corner.

• No name of the website either.

• I like having the profile picture showing, not just the name. This has been pointed out in previous comments.

• Related to that, settings are hidden beneath it. Also pointed out before, I can confirm it is confusing.

• I really find the old number in a circle a bit mismatching, like it never went well with the rest of the elements. However it did have an advantage over the new notification symbol. Generally, I don’t care about how many friends are connected or if a tournament starts in half an hour. But the games to move notification should be more conspicuous than the rest. You could lose (live) games just for not noticing.

• Puzzles and Joseki are in different menus. It feels they should belong in the same category. Maybe some categories do require moving around.
    The link to become a subscriber is duplicated, so maybe having Joseki duplicated in Learn and Tools is not that much of an issue.

7 Likes

I prefer the new one, it’s clearer.

For mobiles, a button would be easier to use but for browsers I like the categorised view.

The Home tab should show the logo, there is no logo.

6 Likes

I concur, logo really is a must. Maybe not on the nav bar but it’s gotta be somewhere.

4 Likes

How about placing( Learn>Other go resources>)Video channels under Watch?

2 Likes

One other small thing about mobile.

I didn’t realise there was a search bar - it’s fairly invisible on both light and dark theme.

6 Likes