New experimental nav bar available

My previous comment was about the mobile interface.

Now I can see the PC interface and have something to add.

I think the spacing is still too big and I still don’t like the line wrap.
Of course there are instances where the names are extremely long, but I don’t thik wrapping is a good solution.
Also the icon halfway between the lines isn’t very straightforward.

I’d suggest at least to reduce the lines spacing when wrapping a line, so to keep the two halves nearer.
It could be even better to cut the line and have a floating textbox when mouse is hovering on that line

I didn’t realise before that the “your moves” placeholder is now smaller and with a layout similar to tournaments and chat. I don’t really like it.

I understand that the icon should help recognizing it, but I think it was more visible and clearer the way it was before: just a single big number, in colour when you have to play.
I have just three games going, so I’m waiting for someone to make their moves in order to see how it changes when it’s my turn (edit: it’s exactly the same, way too discreet for my taste), but that smaller number is just less important in my reading and the icon is distracting instead of being clarifying.

And about the OGS icon… the web page as it is, it’s just anonymous. :ninja:

7 Likes

6onr19

5 Likes

I voted for the old interface, it is not a hard dislike for the new one though. I just like the current one.

3 Likes

After getting used to it for a couple of days:

1. I really miss a Home button on mobile.
  2. Move notification doesn’t stand out enough, both PC and mobile.
  3. Where is the logo :crying_cat_face:
15 Likes

I definitely had to train myself to get used to the more subtle difference. I tend to agree that a more high contrast difference between “no moves” and “have moves” would be better.

8 Likes

Small issue, but I like the old move icon better. Everything else is OK on a small phone.

7 Likes

The search bar doesn’t appear anywhere for me on an iPhone SE in Safari. Where should it be?

4 Likes

Click top left corner

9da0ba61-7a26-4fa9-aae7-1ccc3eff737d

Should be at the very top

e5bedb8d-870b-4c46-a84f-cbf627acb500

1 Like

I like your idea about making it an icon in the top right. Would definitely help with discoverability.

(and Discourse already does it!)

5 Likes

For me it doesn’t show, though if I tap the general area I eventually get a cursor.

4 Likes

Safari have had issues with our website in the past… is there any chance you are able to use chrome or firefox or one of their variants until this is resolved?

4 Likes

Definitely, I just wanted to mention the issue so it can be fixed at some point. If it helps, I just tried in Chrome on iOS and still had the same result. Maybe because it also uses WebKit?

4 Likes

Huh weird… definitely thanks for letting us know

4 Likes

One tweak I’d definitely make is put Forums either at the top, or second, on the Community menu.

My feeling is that Groups are a distant third in “community interactions” available at OGS.

5 Likes

I concur, without seeing hard data on site traffic that anoek may have access to, my general impression is that most users communicate most of the time either in english chat channel or here on the forums, with some communication happening in other groups but with that being a distant third as postulated by GaJ.

What would be interesting to note though, is how many users access the forums from the main site vs how many come here directly as I do.

2 Likes

I only just noticed that it was “in the wrong place” because I went to use that menu item for the first time in a while :smiley:

Sometimes whatever’s up with tabs that are open or whatever means you just want to click from the site to here … only occasionally for me.

Ultimately, I think the positioning of that sort of thing is as much about “what do you want people to discover first” and “what do you want people to think is most important when they first look” as it is about “day to day use”.

We have bookmarks and other things for day-to-day use. You only get to show people what’s important once…

4 Likes

Just curious what else is planned to go in the “Watch” menu? Seems funny to have a dropdown with only one option.

And yes, some of us play desktop, light theme :stuck_out_tongue:

Also the icons look nice, but seem very small / lost in negative space. I personally wouldn’t mind having the avatar next to the username.

Minor but, it seems of the three icons, only “Notifications” has a hover alt text. Very very minor, but the hover visuals are inconsistent: the bell gets darker, friends does nothing, and the move icon gets lighter. Also seems odd that the username has no hover effect – would expect something similar to the other top-level menus or Home button.

Finally much appreciate the very clean profile, settings, sign out dropdown menu.

4 Likes

Top boards, live steams, tournament relays… all on the list somewhere :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I voted for the new layout (despite being very used to the old one) because search bar being visible is a big improvement.

I am on browser and don’t play correspondence. My home page is a big empty. I suppose it would show announcements but that doesn’t seem like much. Is it useful for mobile users? Is it better to keep that page simple for mobile? It used to have friendslist but I’m not gonna complain about getting rid of that - accessing that from topright icon seems fine. It might be nice to be able to put a demo board or some personally chosen links there. It is just that, “home” is the topleft button and it doesn’t serve almost any function for me.

4 Likes

Maybe home could have some watch functionality as well? Either always or only when you don’t have any ongoing games?

4 Likes