New experimental nav bar available

The old navigation bar seems to be easier to navigate on my phone even though it looks cleaner on the first glance

2 Likes

OGS TV?

3 Likes
3 Likes

True. That’s at least a fiver into the jar.

4 Likes

not only logo, those 3 letters are barely seen anywhere, few use forum
people will forgot that site is called “OGS”
and “online-go.com” is harder to remember and to spread to outside world

4 Likes

Sorry :confounded: I thought it was given that the categories were “borrowed”!

4 Likes

I like the new nav bar, definitely prefer it over the old one.

Some comments, that might’ve been made before (I don’t have time to read the entire thread now)

• I miss the logo
  • The menus on the left pop out on hover, but those on the right do not, which feels a bit counter-intuitive
  • I would expect the search bar to be on the right, probably as an icon that pops out a search bar.
  • On mobile, I’d expect the categories for “tournaments” and “groups” to collapse on click, instead of filling the screen. Especially for people who join a lot of tournaments or groups, displaying them all will make the menu virtually unusable.
8 Likes

Don’t apologise.
Lichess is very worthy of admiration and immitation,
As is their western user base :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just noticed that this new layout removes chat notifications. That’s a deal-breaker for me! Is there a plan to put them back?

2 Likes

Supposedly. It’s apparently getting some kind of upgrade at the same time, so Soon™ :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Another thing I noticed when trying the desktop version is that the menu stays open after you click a link, which is very unusual behavior, I think.

1 Like

New update on the beta site looks amazing! From a cursory glance it looks like anoek inplemented everything asked for here except moving search from the top left menu to the top right icon bar

3 Likes

On mobile the categories seem messed up.

It’s like most things should be in the next category down, except “home” which should be by itself at the top, or could perhaps be better placed as a little home button on the top menu. Thanks.

Now that the chat notification is back, I get this awful scrollbar at the bottom…

Also, on mobile logo is back, but it goes to menu, not to Home :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

bug

on narrow window horizontal scroll bar appeared at the bottom, it wasn’t here before
so real width of site became incorrectly big for any narrow size of window
so that horizontal scroll bar eats part of space at the bottom and my icon in top right not seen without moving horizontal scroll bar

[image1]

everything is correct in low height window
[image2]

looks like other parts of site are correct width, nav bar is too long in narrow window:
[image3]

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick finds, those should be fixed up now

10 Likes

And pushed to production server too :heart: any chance we might see the search function moved to the right side before you switch into your next project? Or is that not something you want to implement at this stage?

1 Like

Right is better than center you think? I moved it from the left to the center in this recent patch.

2 Likes

Not the position, the location. We want it in the icon menu so that it shows on mobile

2 Likes

Now my groups are at the end of the “groups” page.
My tournaments need one more click: “tournaments” page, then “my tournaments” and it’s in the same format of other tournaments.

In the old “home” page they were all available and in a more compact way

1 Like