No byo yomi beep

In Rengo game today, chrome browser, I heard stone sounds but did not have any beeping as byo yomi time expired. This was treacherous! I can’t find a setting for this. Is there anything I can do to get my beeps back?

Apparently the byo-yomi sounds work in such a way that they can be skipped if you have a laggy connection.
See also this topic where I had the same experience: Byo-Yomi countdown suddenly gone

Personally I think that it would be better to have the client start beeping without confirmation from the server, especially since byo-yomi is such a time-critical part of the game. The other users in my thread did not seem to consider it a problem.

Maybe there are some advantages to the current implementation that I am not aware of, or it’s just not a high-priority change for the devs.

2 Likes

huh. I don’t think I have a laggy connection

Me neither, but lag can also stem from the server being under heavy load, even if it’s just for 10 seconds :smile:

Edit: of course it could be some other problem entirely. Maybe if there are more victims of this phenomenon, the reports will be taken serious enough for the devs to take a look and make sure it’s not an actual bug unrelated to lag.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. The beeper should be on the user side.

On my current computer, the best-case scenario for the last byo-yomi is “ten … nine … eight … beep - game over”. The rare worst-case scenario is that I lose between 20 and 30 seconds. I am still not convinced that the problem is simply on my end. Sure, my connection could be faster and the problem is gone on a faster connection, but how much bytes do you need to ferry to my computer to inform it of the one of 361 possibilities where my opponent played? Seems like 3 bytes are sufficient for this…

1 Like

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

This is killing me!