Offering "Teaching correspondence games" (Join the club!) :)

I would also love to join/be put on the waiting list. I’ve been playing for about 6 months now and I feel that being a part of a “club” would provide the right atmosphere for me to continue to learn and grow and stay motivated. I have an idea, since there seems to be a fair amount of interest in this and only one of you Mr. Levvo, may I suggest an idea? Yunguseng dojoang does this where they pair up their members (perhaps once a week?) to play games against each other. Then their pro guy In-seong Hwang 8 dan does a detailed video review of their games. He also posts what he calls “This Week’s Highlight” where he selects certain positions in the games he’s reviewed and talks about a certain theme. Instead of just reviewing games, you could perhaps play one of the members of your club, and rotate who you play each cycle.

So just to clarify my suggestion: Say the cycle is 1 month. In that one month you could set up correspondence games between members, you would of course be paired up with the privileged student of the month. Students have 3 weeks to complete their correspondence games, and during the last week, you could make reviews for all the games. I think this might be a good way to lessen your workload, instead of playing many correspondence games.What do you think?

2 Likes

Hi Levvo,

I am also interested in joining if and when there is space. I’ve been playing for ~8 months and have been hovering around the 13-15k mark for the last half of that. I’m fairly dedicated, especially when it comes to correspondence games. Don’t play many live games and I’m a fair bit weaker in that respect. I’m ADD and I find it hard to maintain focus for that long all in one go. But I’ve been trying to get better at it by forcing myself to play some live games in TNL As far as tsumego goes, I’ve had a hard time making myself spend time on puzzles regularly, and when I do I usually can’t do it for very long. That said, I think that being part of a club would give me the extra motivation to study tsumego more.

Cheers,
zuz

3 Likes

@Levvo - as one of the club members I just wanted to mention that I think @BulletD0dger’s suggestions sound like they could go somewhere.

Perhaps a “This Week’s Highlight” talking about a certain theme among players in the group, and rotating Malkovich games among different players.

1 Like

Hello Levvo,
It’s very nice, thank you for help all of us, beginners.

I play since 6 months ago. Today I am 12k.
I play and study a little every day.

I will be very happy if I can join on the group when you have time to call more people.

Hugs,

1 Like

@BulletD0dger, @archpaladin1: It’s true that such a thing would be nice, but I’m first off guessing that he is beeing payed to do this? - Imagine just 12 people playing one game each per week. That’s 6 games that I would have to do a detailed review on. Then each week I’d have to also select a subject that comes up in the games and make a “lesson” out of it. I’m not sure you understand how much work this actually is?

If I skip the 6 reviews (in this scenario) and play only one game with one of the students each week that would be sustainable I guess. Or if the 6 games where spread out on 4 weeks. But that still means that one week I’ll have to spend many hours doing detailed reviews of the games. (Which I preferably spend alot of time on).

My current workload is no more then, when I have time I can go in and play a few moves. If something I notice comes up I can write a part of it directly in the game. Or if both me and the “student” is online I can maybe discuss something about the game. It is however a nice idea but I’m not sure how I will have the time to do such a thing. I guess we will see what we can come up with in the future. I’m right now starting my own company up “in real life” aswell so alot of time is beeing invested there, where as OGS gets an hour or two every day. =)

For everyone applying, I would estimate it to maybe around a month till I can invite more people. So the structure of the group will get a good foundation and we find a good way to keep everyone learning even if I cannot be there all the time. Cause it’d be pointless to invite 0 more people if I cannot help you improve cause of lack in time.

2 Likes

Hello Levvo sensei.
I’d like to join . This will be a great chance to learn where i did my mistakes and what else could be done at that point . And the tournament will be a great place too for that. So, i am really interested to join and improve my go under your care . Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Levvo,

Please don’t be offended. I was just pointing out that I thought these were some good ideas. I didn’t expect you to copy them.

I think Go is a hobby for most everyone here. Of course we all have other responsibilities, and should see to those things first.

1 Like

He is most definitely being paid to do this.

He is awesome. However, you are a paying student in that scenario.

= )

2 Likes

@archpaladin1 No don’t get me wrong, I’m not offended at all. I just wanted to explain why something like this is abit beyond me. I know there are alot of nice go resources and teachers you can get your hands on if you have the money to do so. But there is also quite a few of us who does this for free, though that ofcourse has its downside aswell since we can’t make a living out of this (unlike pros).

1 Like

Levvo!! I’d also like to join. I’m studying tsumego or watching a video and playing games just about every day. So I’m dedicated for sure.

1 Like

I would like to join! I have not been doing well lately, and am wondering why that is so, also, i am looking to improve and not let chopper surpass me (hai chopper! :3). I am busy on some days of the week, so i do not have too much time on those days, but other than that, i am ready to learn!

2 Likes

I will invite more people before our next malkovich tournament starts =)

Hi,
I’ve played go for a couple years now but I stopped a year ago and now I’m starting back up again. I would love to join and improve my go.

2 Likes

what about the live style of teaching game. where you interrupt the game to show
variations and point out mistakes. as a kyu i’ve always found this more usefull than
playing a lost game against a stronger opponent, and matching them point out
how hopeless my position was from the very beginning and how i just made it worse
and worse

anyways, if someone in the 10-15k range wants to try an even game in this style
just contact me

4 Likes

OGS teaching tools is lacking abit cause there is no such thing as a teaching game, sadly - But I do the same thing in my cor. teaching games. Just move by move.

@sphaso, @BulletD0dger, @zuz, @DiogoBarbosa, @Rikhon, @grayson, @chopper, @Miruya, @Predex, @yuri

Hey guys! , If you want to join in I want to know that you’re still active so, please “like” this post (or reply) and I can send you an invite. And how to integrate you to the 10+ people already in the group without things getting messy I have an idea.

We just started a closed group tournament where we are doing malkovich logging (can explain this another time). But often you don’t see your own mistakes in your games so if we have time we also comment on the other peoples games in the tournement. So as a “welcome party” I want whoever joins now to kibitz (comment) on the ongoing tournament. And the next month you will be part of it! =) I’ll write a more detailed post in our news section.

If this sounds good to you (Helping people you have no clue who they are), you will be welcome into my closed little “club” :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hear from you! :wink:

//Levvo

10 Likes

Sounds great to me :slight_smile: thanks for getting back so quickly

Miruya, DiogoBarbosa, zuz, sphaso, chopper and grayson. Welcome to the club! =)

Please read through the “news” section and say hello in the chat! ^^

1 Like

I want to join

I’m a 10kyu who studies at least 2 hours a day, though I lack friends who are close to my level. I think joining a group where I can find some rivals and some friends and some teachers could do a lot to help my game!
Im the competetive type but I also like teaching weaker players.
I dont usualy join clubs, and can be sort of a loner but I’d like for that to change, since Go is much more fun with people you know.