**OGS climber 2022** 🪜

Players between 15k and 5k can join this:

1 Like

Was there a restriction on ladder size? I thought @Groin said it has to be 50 big or something

Edit: ohhh the group needs 50 not the ladder got it!

2 Likes

Yep, the only restriction for the ladder is that you can’t just take the first place by joining an empty ladder. Well you can but this will give you 0 point until maybe someone comes and challenge you unsuccessfully (1point)

1 Like

This one is a great example for @Groin’s “Players have to be respectful with groups.” rule! Joined.

2 Likes

Okay… but there are players that aren’t 15 to 5 kyu!

Seems like another good group for DDK’'s.

2 Likes

There is a a large choice, and my guess is that a lot will welcome new members, even more if they bring some activity as we do.

1 point

2 points

∑ 4 pts.

1 Like

1 point (timeout)

2 points (resign)

1 point (timeout)

2 points (resign)

∑ 10 pts

1 Like

1 point (timeout):

1 point (timeout):

1 point (timeout):

1 Like

Your opponent tenukied!

2 Likes

Updated my post above with two more points.

1 Like
LIST

1 (timeout)

1 (cancel)

1 (cancel)

2 (resign)

2 (resign)

1 (cancel)

2 (resign)

1(timeout)

1(timeout)

1(timeout)

1(timeout)

1(timeout)

2(resign)

2(resign)

∑ 29 points

Hopefully the ladder page should link to the group now if that’s helpful.

1 Like

Only 2 points so far:

I wish we could think of a more “climbing activity” related goal, rather than “the people who win are the people who get to the top”. A competition where the most distance up ladders travelled would be much more accessible to all, though possibly we don’t have the means to measure this at the moment.

Would it count if you climbed up a ladder, dropped out and climbed up again. Or only the largest climb, or only one climb per ladder?

I guess the idea in not using say just the main site ladders in 9x9, 13x13, 19x19, was to kind of make it accessible in a way. You go find a random group where there’s like two people in the ladder, and then wait for them to time out and

It seems there’s some misunderstanding about what groups count:

I appreciate that being able to climb ladders in groups adds accessibility, but especially where the pool of players is “moderately large”, it will be rare for “the bottom half” of players to be able to get to the top of one of those pools, even if they take the time to try to find them (which is moderately painstaking: I’m not aware of a way to find groups with active ladders with 50 or more members, other than trawling).

I was thinking that the OGS ladder climber might be the person who climbed the total most steps, whatever the delta in whatever ladder.

This means that a TPK could compete by repeatedly beating the other TPK at the bottom of the ladder, if they played enough games, or a strong player can compete by jump far up a ladder.

I guess strong players will always have the advantage, and that’s as it should be - a motivation to git gud - but at least there’s a means for everyone to actually score :slight_smile:

Just brainstorming… the main thought in my mind being "the person who gets to the top of the ladder already has the prestige of that, why do we need to reward them again in this way? Should’t the “climber” be the person who does the most “climbing”?

I had to read it twice initially. The group just needs to have 50 members, the ladder can just have one other person as far as I know if you check the groups/games linked so far.

Ha :slight_smile:

We could debate about the merits of a competition to find the group with the least competition in it’s ladder, but really I’m more focussed on this point:

"the person who gets to the top of the ladder already has the prestige of that, why do we need to reward them again in this way? Should’t the “climber” be the person who does the most “climbing”?

… because if that were the case, then it’d be more accessible - and maybe more meaningful :slight_smile:

3 Likes