OGS rank mixed with all board sizes?

What I said is very clear. Bot assistance is forbidden in both ranked and unranked human games. Period. Those are the site rules. If you disagree, argue with the site, don’t bother me.

I apologise for bothering you. I have edited my post to avoid mentioning your name.

On this I completely agree, see 1s per move ranked games for example. But abusing time settings by creating games that are almost impossible for others to win is different from playing normal 9x9 or 13x13 games, that normally reflect the player’s (19x19) strenght. And this is coming from someone who likes to click before thinking.
We recently banned a player who, among other things, was abusing this, fyi.
From my point of view you are putting two things together that should not be together.

And regarding the Alan Turning tournament, I also agree that it should be unranked, but the influence it has in my opinion is very small.

But don’t touch 9x9 and 13x13, please!

2 Likes

I personally know at least one player who is only playing on OGS because he can play ranked 13x13 here. About another one who plays 9x9 a lot, I suspect removing the option to play ranked might drive him away. (But admittedly I’m not sure about this second player. I am sure about the first one). To give this some context: I personally know exactly 6 OGS players. So this statistics shows removing ranked games on 9x9 and 13x13 would lose us between 17% and 33% or the player base. Yeah, I know it*s nonsense to do statistics with n=6. But I’d say it’s still anecdotical evidence that there may be a significant fraction of OGS players who really want/need those ranks. Personally, I don’t btw,

3 Likes

There are many beginners on OGS
it will be like that:
they play 19x19 , get 25k rank, then play 9x9 a lot and getting good skill by doing it, then play 19x19 again while having very incorrectly low rank

5 Likes

I think ogs should do what’s right and not satisfying everyone, these players could still play smaller board sizes but not ranked and mess up the entirety of the ranking system, thank you!

First, you need to provide some evidence that you’re right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

??? do you not see the bigger picture, please, first off, there’s no difference between what you just said and people getting better at go, some people may take breaks and come back 2-3 stones stronger , it’s the same scenarios as you just said. And second off, smaller board sizes aren’t mainstreamed, most people don’t practice and have any training on it, their 19x19 strength do not equal to their smaller board sizes strength, you can’t just mess them all together

how am I not right? you can tell me why I am unreasonable and not making some valid points that should not be overlooked and should be taken seriously

??? your 9x9 and 13x13 may be similar to your 19x19 but others definitely aren’t, like I said people don’t usually play 9x9 and 13x13 and most people don’t have training and practice on it, a pro in 19x19 may only be considered a “kyu” in 9x9,it’s a complete different world we are talking about, please

From my perspective you are indeed making some valid points. Maybe it’s about time for you to consider if maybe, just maybe other people have made valid points too? Maybe this is not an entirely trivial topic with a clear cut solution that solves all problems.

5 Likes

if both sides are making valid points, then maybe we could compromise and come in the middle but I am 100 percent sure all of their so called “valid points” can be proven wrong

You may not be aware of it, so maybe someone should tell you: You way of debating makes it extremely hard for people like myself, who don’t think you are 100% wrong, to not entirely disregard everything you say.

9 Likes

because the fact that so many people disagree with me irritates me, I need to use stronger languages to get through their head.

In general if people disagree, using stronger language will communicate your frustration, but not your point. The people disagreeing with you believe the overall rank makes the ranking system stronger and believe the evidence presented by Aneok proves this.

They’re not asking for you to use stronger language, but stronger evidence. From your profile, you’re probably a stronger player than most posting here, so some good evidence could be sharing some games where you see evidence of someone playing stronger than their rank due to a mixing of smaller board games.

8 Likes

Such immature way of thinking …

6 Likes

overall rank makes the ranking system stronger? how?? if anything it messing up the ranking system, we are not comparing between overall rank and making separate ranks, which one is better, it’s about complete removal of ranking in 9x9 and 13x13, considering most people’s overall rank are played in 19x19 and their 19x19 strength do not correlate to their 9x9 and 13x13. And it’s not only about mixing board sizes, there are way too many loopholes where people could potentially exploit their ranks, we talked about time abuse, mixing different board sizes, ranked against computers, tournaments where assistance is allowed and etc. You want your rank to represent your strength as close as possible.

what’s more immature are the people who’s expressing their “clearly wronged opinion” and should think twice before making a statement

Ignoring 9x9 games will lead to worse outcomes in this scenario.

4 Likes

in case you didn’t see my reply to him, I would copy and paste over here, first off, there’s no difference between what you just said and people getting better at go, some people may take breaks and come back 2-3 stones stronger , it’s the same scenarios as you just said. And second off, smaller board sizes aren’t mainstreamed, most people don’t practice and have any training on it, their 19x19 strength do not equal to their smaller board sizes strength, you can’t just mess them all together