OGS team league proposal

No, this is a comparison chart. The two aren’t intended to be used together.

I don’t think it needs to be extremely accurate either, since it’s not a title tournament or anything.

I see compensation in the form of stones and/ or komi as a way to make the game more enjoyable for both sides, not necessarily to reach probability of win perfection.

But that’s just me. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, I think the forest is being missed for the trees a little here…

1 Like

3 ΔR is very little. Fair reverse komi is 14 ΔR so something like 7ΔR or 10ΔR would be fine, but 3ΔR is definitely too little.

1 Like

14ΔR?

You mean a 6k should give fourteen points to a 7k?

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

Rank dif. H = ⌊ΔR / 2⌋ H = 7ΔR
1 normal game 7 pt
2 no komi 14 pt
3 no komi 21 pt
4 2 stones 28 pt
5 2 stones 35 pt
6 3 stones 42 pt
7 3 stones 49 pt
8 4 stones 56 pt
9 4 stones 63 pt

… looks simple enough to me.

They are not cumulative…

A 6k playing with white against a 7k should give 7 points.
A 6k playing with white against a 8k should give 21 points.
A 6k playing with white against a 9k should give 35 points.

(If you want the match to be fair.)

4 Likes

@bugcat how did you make that nice table? (sorry for being offtopic)

I’m just going to run H = ⌊ΔR / 2⌋ with free placement, if no-one really strongly objects.

The discussion of fair handicap is not that interesting to me.
I just want to get the league off the ground.

Tables are made like this:

:smiley_cat: :crying_cat_face: :kissing_cat:
happy sad friendly
grinning crying kissing

Reminder, H = ⌊ΔR / 2⌋ is one stone (free placement) for each two ranks, and no komi for either colour.

3 Likes

So, we will be playing under the parameters of:

• 12 players

• in 4 teams of 3

• as specified in my final “boustrophedon” table

• with 4 players in each bracket, each playing 3 games

• at 30m + 5 x 30s (polled)

• with 1 round / 2 weeks (polled)

• and a handicap of 1 stone / 2 ranks

Are these settings highly objectionable to you, considering that this is only the very first round?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Yes a 6k would indeed give 14 points to 7k, but additionally komi points are applied as normal. So there are two cases:

1.) 6k plays Black, 7k plays White → White gets 20.5 points (14 + 6.5)
2.) 6k plays White, 7k plays Black → Black gets 7.5 points (14 - 6.5)

2 Likes

Can I join with my own team?

1 Like

Who would your team be?

Rank balancing is important, since it wouldn’t be fair to field a load of dans against us pettable kyus~

I have a discord group of around 20 people with varied rank, from beginner up to mid dan, and we love team battles (we do weekly inhouse team battle ourselves). So I’m sure I can find people interested and within the rank criteria :smiley:

The other guys aren’t picky on particular rule, as long as it’s team battle it’ll be fun :smiley:

4 Likes

That sounds great!

One, two or more teams of three or four people each, with varied ranks, would fit right in.

If you do contribute two teams then we’ll shift up to three weeks / round, since that was also a very accepted time control. We can probably squeeze in another team at two weeks.

2 Likes

Do you mind updating the first post with latest rule/information? So it’s easier for me to tell people (it’s hard to look through hundreds of posts to check what’s going on :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

Yeah, sure.

I laid out the agreed format in OGS team league proposal - #112 by bugcat so I’ll just paste that in and remove the original text of the OP.

Look forward to seeing y’all! :3

Want to link me to the discord?

Actually, I am going to make a new thread called OGS Team League Second-Stage Registration.

Tomorrow, I’ll start the final thread OGS Team League Discussion, which will be where to post completed games, discuss scheduling etc.

4 Likes