OGS Team League Second Stage Registration

Is there a ranking requirement after all (like in previous thread you mentioned dan/sdk/ddk, but in current teams I don’t see the same distribution). 8k vs 21k seems a bit too overwhelming tbh even with 9 stones

A team including a dan, SDK, and DDK is desirable, but we don’t have an immensity of players.

We currently have only two DDKs in seventeen registered players, so there’s nothing to be done about the situation on the bottom board. The lowest-ranked players are already playing there.

I do feel that the BeginnerGo team is disproportionately strong (1d, 4k, 5k with 5d plus-one).

I will ping @danjosely and ask him whether that team could only field one dan in the four-player format, but I appreciate the difficulty he might have had in finding four players. I’m alright with their three-player team competing as-is (Cadspen is a bit strong for the bottom board, but I won’t quibble), but I’m not entirely happy with dans being on the second board in this round. I’m sure we can find a structure in which all dans can play on the first board.

For this first experimental round, we are trialling one handicap stone for every two ranks (rounding down), so an 8k would actually give six stones to a 21k. For denser discussion of the handicap system, which became too technical and syrupy in nature for my taste, and for other aspects of the format, please see the initial thread OGS team league proposal : that thread is very much a stratching post – uh, stratchboard – though. We’ve considered both handicap stones and reverse komi.

When to play each game is up to players to decide with their opponent?

Yes. There was some talk of suggested timeslots, but I think that just displaying the players with their chosen flags goes some way to indicating their time zone. I’m happy to delve back into the timeslot discussion but, again, in the first thread.

By the way, I am actually :uk:. I just like the name Sandwich Islands :south_georgia_south_sandwich_islands: ^^

To quote from Groin:

Nothing has to be perfect from the beginning, the team idea is nice I guess next will come maybe what identity have teams, it’s all prone to evolution.

4 Likes