One Color Go Joseki Recogition

Back in the day we did it, I think, somewhere. Can’t find it though. You’re given common joseki in one color and you need to recognize it. Sort of training your pattern recognition in a peculiar way.

Two Japanese pros did a competitive round of it:

To not waste your time, here’re the positions given. I still recommend watching the video for fun. Watching these Japanese videos is similar to being a dog. You don’t understand what they’re saying, but if they’re cheering, you’re happy too. But I imagine not everyone shares this type of fun with me, so here’re the positions:

Introduction

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

Did you get them all? Of course, these are relatively simple, and most players can figure them out given some time and thought. Seriously though, how many dans do you need to be to get all of them?

8 Likes

This is genius, and enough to put this on my watch list!

2 Likes

bump~

Authors themselves made a bump.

This time with invited guests: Onishi Ryuhei 7p, more notably Ueno Asami 4p, and even more notably Ichiriki Ryo 9p.

Wow, Ichiriki Ryo is already 9p, took it last December with 2 big titles. I remember him being still 7p.

Problems in this video, if you value your time:

First

Second

Third

Forth

Last

How many did you get?

Note how quick Ichiriki Ryo there to press the button. Of course, he presses even if he isn’t completely sure, so it’s a little suspect. But still fast.

2 Likes

Wow, Ichiriki Ryo is already 9p, took it last December with 2 big titles.

I like how it’s become more difficult to reach the ultimate rank in Japan after the abolition of the Oteai in 2003; imo there were too many nine-dan pros around. They were running into the inflationary “grandmaster problem”, in which the top rank fails to provide enough distinction.

1 Like

There’s a bonus clip with two more joseki.

https://youtu.be/oLAfgbKPfHE (haha, preview is spoiling the answers)

Pictures

Did you get them? Or for kyu players, do you even know these joseki?

1 Like