Opponent gives up, sort of?

I believe advice about specific moves in an ongoing game is not allowed.

3 Likes

I know but I am not really helping much. It’s a game between 6k and 25k and visibly the 25k doesn’t understand some basics, which prevents him from understanding why the game is almost finished. (Only 2 moves left to play.)

1 Like

Still, it’s a ranked game.

Both you and @esoka are mentioning specific moves.

I understand that you are trying to be helpful, but it’s an ongoing game.

We can explain specifics afterwards.

It’s not even a live game, where time is of the essence.

I believe it’s crucial for a new player to understand that they are not supposed to get specific hints during the game, as much as to understand closed borders. Arguably more.

1 Like

I didn’t tell him where to play. I said that to finish a game, you need to close the borders. If you don’t understand that, you can’t finish properly any go game.

Alternatively I suggest that the OP resigns the game and I’ll comment on the game. He can’t win it anyway.

1 Like

i’m still working on my board reading , i only started playing a few months ago.

1 Like

What if they ask for an undo, based on your input? And their opponent is non the wiser?

Assistance is not only “play specifically X move” imho.

But I’m not a strong player or a mod, and since consensus seems to be hints are OK… :woman_shrugging:t2:.

OK I didn’t think about undo. But anyway, even with an undo, I am 100% confident that the 25k can’t win the game.

Should be clarified- even if jlt took the wheel and played the rest of the game, there is no chance of winning

(FTR, I agree in game hints are a no-no)

I understand that.

Is there a directive where assistance is only wrong if it pays out?
I’m not saying it’s the worst action committed ever, but it’s hinting to one side of an ongoing game.

It shouldn’t happen, and a new player like @pinxterenw should be made aware by the community that it shouldn’t happen.

Would you walk over to an ongoing game and tell one of the players “this move lost you one point”?

1 Like

I could do that if I am confident that the opponent wouldn’t care.

1 Like

Based on their rank? Because that’s just assuming.

Even a 9d has the right to say “hey, don’t interfere”.

Based on the fact that the opponent kept passing. He knows he has a won game.

1 Like

yea, but my goal with the question wasn’t getting move hints, just general stuff like is this match going fair or am i or the opponent being rude?

1 Like

They still have the right to ask you to not interfere.

It’s their game. Whatever we would each of us accept in that situation is not relevant.

I advise some consideration is all.

Yes, it’s not on you.
You happened to get some hints, it’s not your fault.
Just keep in mind we are not supposed to get hints from others during the game.

I suspect the opponent is bored about the game. pinxterenw played several moves that were worse than passing. I wanted to tell pinxterenw to finish properly the game, he visibly doesn’t understand some basics about the rules of the game. If no one explains that, the problem will persist in all other games.

3 Likes

Agreed. But this can wait for after an ongoing game.

That was my point, not guidance of a new player in general.

Would be good for @pinxterenw to finish the game so we can discuss how to finish!

1 Like

point is i tried to finish by passing and going to counting , but my oponent keeps going on instead of counting