Opponent gives up, sort of?

that’s not how games counted, pass is not enough

Press the “resign” button.

1 Like

territory makes sense if it sealed and has no holes only

he passed, i pass so the game goes to counting. he keeps going. happend a few times now.

its impossible to count territory with holes, it just makes no sense

you can predict territory in such case, but its impossible to really count if there is a hole.

Resignation really is the best course of action at this point. Opponent is ahead by 50

now i’m starting to feel dumb, i’m new i have to learn a few things. i count to much on what the engine thinks. stuff like that takes time. this topic seems to spiral too much into gate keeping teritory.

1 Like

why does stuff like this keep hapening to me…

Do you understand what ‘closing the borders’ means? If yes, have another close look at your game. If not, say so and we’ll explain.

1 Like

well i think i did, but the holes thing is new info.

Please resign the game and we’ll make a diagram explaining where the borders are not closed.

1 Like

think about Go as painting game. You need to completely draw circle for circle to become painted inside

2 Likes

Well, if you want to go to counting for whatever reason, opponent can’t push you to resign.

Do you think you have a fighting chance in this game and/or prefer to go to scoring for whatever reason?

If not, maybe it’s best to resign the game.

If yes, try to see why scoring can’t be accurate yet.

2 Likes

Look at this demo board: Demobrett

This can’t be counted, because E8 and E9 are open still, so no territory is closed and in japanses rules both players would have 0 points.

Your position is equivalent.

3 Likes

so a line up or or down all the way round no skipping with sideways lines?

4 Likes

stones are just way to draw line

In richyfourtytwo’s example, if it’s White’s turn, then White would close the border like this:

Screen-3-3-2022_14801_PM

Then White passes, Black passes and the game can be scored. White has 27 points+komi and Black has 34 points. If komi is 6.5 (and assuming there are no prisoners, and that Japanese rule is used), then Black wins by 0.5.

1 Like

Please don’t.
Go is a game with a learning curve that isn’t smooth but instead has some harsh steps.
It’s very common for beginners being struggling to understand some basic principle like “close your borders”. We all have been there. So don’t feel ashamed or guilty or whatever: you’re just learning a hard game and it’s absolutely normal to have some difficulties at beginning.

(((then you’ll learn that this feeling is tied to go players: the more you learn, the more you understand that there’s more! I hope this won’t be too scary :smiley: )))

Well, it actually happened just once on moves 95-96.
I’d expect that black would accept any counting, even a not perfect one, at that point.
If you use the option “Estimate score” (which is available in your game) you should see this on move 96:

The part I marked in red is where borders weren’t closed and you can see that Score Estimator doesn’t know how to count those points that it left unmarked.
That was enough to state a black’s win though, so it would’ve been reasonable for black to accept that score and win the game. He didn’t. That’s it. He may have changed his mind.
We can’t actually know the reasons behind that behaviour unless we ask him directly.
But that’s no big deal anyway. Few moves left now.
You can still check Score Estimator to see if there’s some spot still open.
This is what I see now:

You’re almost done. You can do it! :slight_smile: