Option for daily limit on games

I had actually envisaged more or less what you couldn’t imagine: when you hit the limit, I’d make the site appear as though there were no more option to play anymore :slight_smile:

I suspect that “greyed out buttons with explanatory hover-popup” would be the “right” way to do that, if it were do be done…

… I hadn’t envisioned (in my brief thinking about it upon reading here) that correspondence would factor into it, I had kind of assumed the request was for “daily limit on live games”, since those are the things that can be addictive.

1 Like

The suggestion is more about increasing user functionality with an eye on social responsibility as well. Hope OGS can prioritise these over “super-sleekness”. If there’s no space for an extra setting, perhaps the “variation stone transparency” setting could be replaced. Or any other which is not used much.

About the comment on discipline- it’s worth looking at the power of defaults from a behavior science pov. (Default (option/setting) | BehavioralEconomics.com | The BE Hub)

Like the specific visualization here! :smiley:
Yes absolutely, the request was for a daily limit on live games and not correspondence.

Oh 50.corespondance gsmes can become a kind of addiction too。。。

If you want to be restricted for real, it seems to be more a backend dev as a frontend or it would be far too easy to bypass.

1 Like

I think given that you can set you own timed limits for apps and websites then this is what should be used for this kind of problem. I realise that’s it’s not a number of games restriction but I feel it would do the job. And it would work better for correspondence.

3 Likes

Is this on android?

Yup but I imagine you can do the same with most devices these days.

I guess it’s not installed by default (i didn’t find) and my android is chinese but whatever thx for info.

The problem is that if you have 30 minutes left you don’t know if you can afford to start a new game.

1 Like

Yeah but if you already played a game and don’t have time for another then the system is working! If you only want to play one game a day then just set 1.5x or less of your expected game time or something.

OT on Android settings

Mine is in “digital well-being and parental controls” in settings. Apparently digital well-being was introduced in Android 9 but I don’t know if that included app timers

1 Like

I think i should have gouvernemental control included but it’s not apparent too (cheap joke)

Ok i am on android 8 and i found it
security>kidspace Between others, i have timers for apps, yes. Thx.

I’m still on android 4… Really need to buy a new phone.

Don’t laugh at me, i bought a 2d hand one mainly because of the sanitary pass (managed with wechat, a monstrous app which need a not too old phone).And soon will have to put alipay(same nightmare) these two are almost compulsory for a normal life here.

I’m glad I don’t live in a high tech country like China. :man_technologist:

1 Like

I feel old each time they make bad face because i still like to pay with paper money. And there is sometimes places who refuse it now…

1 Like

An indirect way of meeting the objective. But, it looks useful. I just spotted a chrome extension which can be installed for this use. Thanks! Still feel that OGS needs an inbuilt setting for a daily time and game limit from a social responsibility and user functionality pov.

Maybe I’m showing my age but I think this is crossing the line in terms of discharging people of their own self care responsibilities!

It’s not like ogs has a pop up “next game starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1” or “people who enjoyed playing against Alice, also liked challenging Bob” or some kind of infinite scroll equivalent.

I also assume that ogs doesn’t send you emails like “we missed you today, Clare is waiting for your challenge!” but I can’t be sure since I’m here every day so might not trigger this kind of marketing fomo email/notification

4 Likes

Again, do see the power of defaults from a behavior science pov. ([Default (option/setting) | BehavioralEconomics.com | The BE Hub]
(Default (option/setting) | BehavioralEconomics.com | The BE Hub))
Further, if one is not playing any games, the home page shows “You are not playing any games currently- Find a Game”. And the process of getting a game is extremely easy with the “Play” page quite attractive. These are subtle/ not so subtle ways to nudge people into playing.

I guess I’m being trolled at this point but whatever. Before you get to the play page etc you’ve had to positively navigate to ogs presumably with the intention of playing a game of Go (or lurking about in the forums obvs) so I don’t think finding a button that says click here to find a game is a devious nudge luring people to their Doom through Go addiction.

2 Likes

If someone says “it would help me discharge my selfcare obligations if I could have these buttons greyed out after 3 games”, why is bad to help with?

2 Likes