Option for daily limit on games

Because there are other solutions to that self care obligation which do not impact on the extremely large majority of players who do not need them.

1 Like

It is exactly that intent for which there needs to be a check and balance. That intent which motivates one to play an additional game- a win is nothing short of a dopamine hit. Finally, OGS will need to recognise that because playing Go can also induce one to enter a state of ‘flow’, it can be addictive. Therefore, a survey amongst players playing more than 2 games a day for instance would be useful to determine if it’s affecting the quality of the rest of their lives. Even if 5% say it is, the option of a daily limit would serve a good purpose.

Great point!
It’s also unclear who is determining this line for discharging self-care responsibilities. Or how it’s being drawn.

How is there an adverse effect on any player what to say of a large number, when we’re simply considering an option.

How does this impose on anyone who does not need it?

1 Like

Using up developer time for other improvements.

2 Likes

That’s not the case, in this case. There are actually more open source developers available than attractive features for them to implement. (Which is why I signalled Shinuito who was looking for something substantial to do)

3 Likes

Fair enough. Well, no reason not to then other than cluttering the settings. Personally, I don’t see that as a problem - I prefer most things to be highly configurable. I wouldn’t use the feature but that’s not to say others won’t. May as well do it then :grin:

1 Like

This is basically the problem. Why add to the disaster that is the settings when there are other solutions?

I suppose the camel’s back is already broken so maybe to doesn’t matter any more but it’s seriously daunting to try and find something in the settings. Really there should be a one-in-one-out policy or something like that. (Ideally I wonder if there are setting stats we can obtain. I wonder if there are settings that have not been used at all by anyone!)

1 Like

Yes, this would be really helpful. Then we can remove unused features.

Your opinion.

I don’t think they are a disaster in any way.

They are nicely laid out, in a place where you hardly ever have to look unless you are looking for something specific. And if you are, then you are either new and browsing - in which case they are well presented - or you are following instructions, in which case you will find what you want easily.

We joke about how many there are, and the OGS cockpit etc, but this jest shouldn’t be taken too seriously, to the extent that we hamstring ourselves from having a rich feature set.

(That said, it sure would be interesting to have usage stats of settings … but THIS idea WOULD detract from the only back end developer doing more important things.)

2 Likes

… in the meantime, aren’t there things like screen time limiting and parental controls that could be use to restrict oneself? I’d think all modern Operating Systems should have them meanwhile.

3 Likes

Makeshift, alternative arrangements have been made at the individual level. Thanks for the suggestions all the same. This conversation was about initiating a positive change at the systemic level.

2 Likes

When I get angry I sometimes insult my opponents in the chat. Please add a setting so that I can only insult my opponents up to 3 times a day. Except on Mondays. Mondays suck. On Mondays I want to be able to insult them 10 times.

7 Likes

Actually, if you insult your opponent and the moderators become aware, it will be arranged so that you can’t do that anymore.

3 Likes