Original Leela's (NOT Leela Zero) strength on 9x9

Split from topic AI review for 9x9 anytime soon? to avoid offtopicing too much

I am a bit late to the party it seems, but from what I remember Leela (<-- NOT Leela Zero) played laughably bad on 9x9 in some of the oldest versions due to some mistakes or whatever (to the point that even I was able to beat her on quite high settings - and she ranked me as a 6p which was quite funny - might still have a screenshot somewhere :smiley: ). Just a word of caution.

1 Like

Alternatively you could download Lizzie, edit the config to have KataGo run in 9x9 mode, and get systematically destroyed :smiley:

1 Like

From everything I have read and experienced, this is not true. From my understanding Leela (← NOT Leela Zero) plays proficiently at high dan level. I swear I remember multiple sources stating a dependable skill level of 9p. I’m not sure how long ago you’ve played. I’ve only been playing with Leela on and off for a year. And all research and reading related to Leela has been done in the last year. A lot of that was on /r/Baduk.

On 19x19 sure. On 9x9 some of the later versions were very weak and I was not the only one who noticed. It is possible or maybe even probable (could have been about a year back) they fixed it since. Just saying to check before blindly following.

1 Like

Well I went ahead and asked in /r/Baduk. Let’s see if anybody has anything to add to the conversation.

1 Like

Got a free minute today so I rumaged through my computer a bit to check as not to unfairly scare potential 9x9 “customers” of Leela’s (and to defend my honor of course!).

I had version 0.11.0 which still seems to be the latest build? and just beat her on 10000 simulations (GPU accelerated if you wanted to know for some reason). Took me about six not really serious (purely intuitive play) tries. Switched to 20 000 and beat her on my third quick try. So certainly can’t claim to be her superior, but yeah, one would expect more from a bot nowadays. And I do not even really play 9x9 so my rank would probably be quite lower for the size than my current OGS one.

I claim absolutely no superior knowledge on the matter, and do not fully understand what simulations mean precisely and if you can set the bot up better than I did. I just pressed the highest settings there was (apart from unlimited) and played a default 9x9 game. Just saying if I personally cared for 9x9 reviews I would investigate thoroughly before using Leela, to make them for me.

Maybe @mark5000 would know more and correct my mistakes if I made some?

2 Likes

A few folks chimed in on that reddit thread and they agree with you. Looks like my 14k butt was seriously wrong on this topic. I am now positive that my brain can no longer distinguish between research done on Leela and Leela Zero. They’ve all mashed together.

At least now I can make changes in my personal training. I think it is awesome you hopped in and gave Leela a whirl today :sunglasses:. This has been very educational. I think it is time that I move onto KataGo. Hopefully I’ll learn even more than I have been from Leela. Thank you AdamR, seriously :wink:.

2 Likes