Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

Charming.

I found Davis sometimes a little rude and PatKo adorable.
When she was talking about the tzigane played in many painters styles I got emotional.

1 Like

Yes, I thought Davis was unusually tough for a friendly interviewer and talked a little too long in the beginning, but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I think she was just trying to draw PatKo out more, and in that she succeeded.

1 Like

Here is a delightful, happy, beautifully explained video about the technical side of composition that anyone can watch for pure fun.

1 Like

Delightful and intriguing in equal measure. I’m not any kind of composer but I’m very glad that I broke my usual download restrictions to watch this fully.

If only we could explain Go as well as he explains music. :sigh:

Thankyou @Conrad_Melville

1 Like

Thank you. I post things like that, knowing it won’t have wide appeal, but with the hope that it might touch one or two people willing to take a chance. You have made the effort worthwhile.

1 Like

It is a very interesting video.

It probably also when helps that when one person engages another becomes more likely to.

I think also sometimes it needs to appear at the right time for people - but that’s not something one can necessarily control either :slight_smile:

I get what he means about the Pixar vibes, but I probably would be more reminder of “Up” then “Ratatouille” with the melody, or maybe just the idea that the melody tells a story. That’s kind of what happens with “Married Life” in Up.

One can kind of get the idea of the composer almost wanting to make it dark and maybe liven up again (though they kept it light in the video but just mentioned it could go one direction potentially).

2 Likes

I didn’t understand the reference in the video; thanks for elucidating it. I can see some similarity of feeling in “Married Life,” which is also a light-hearted waltz, but it has a lot more of the commercial, film score quality than Frank’s simple love song or even David’s reworking of it.

Yes, the exposure that a post gets is often a matter of luck. A post can get buried very quickly by one or two later posts in a thread, or the whole thread can get buried quickly by more popular threads.

However, my attitude has always been guided by one of my favorite quotes, from Epictetus (probably in a letter, as I did not find it in his major work): “I write this not for the eyes of the many, but for yours alone, for each of us is audience enough for the other.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

This short film, produced as a supplement for English classes, caused a huge national controversy in the U.S. in 1969, with numerous calls for its ban from schools. Most people then were unfamiliar with Shirley Jackson’s famous short story, “The Lottery,” and were not jaded by a host of imitations. I saw it, during its initial release, in my high school freshman English class. The class was stunned and “creeped out.” Although I vaguely knew of Jackson from the 1963 movie version of her novel, The Haunting of Hill House, it was this film that launched me on a mission to read all of Jackson, one of the finest American writers of the 20th century.

2 Likes

I thought to share crime documentary today. Not very known outside of here, apparently. Relaxing, I know.

By the way, they say they had protection from high places.

If you ever wondered what an advanced, classical music lesson is like, this is it. However, as a master class, this is even more high pressure than a normal lesson, since the student’s faults are on public display. The student here is outstanding, at the doctoral level I would say, and is playing an excerpt from the world’s most difficult cello concerto. The teacher is my favorite living cellist. He focuses a lot on quality of sound, because this is probably the single biggest distinguishing characteristic between the concert artist and the orchestral professional. I find master classes like this especially inspiring because we are seeing the handing-down of a great tradition from one generation to the next.

The student plays until 8:35, and then the teacher comes on stage. The lesson is in English, though the teacher briefly speaks French to the French audience.

1 Like

Funny, but serious and timely.

1 Like

A timely issue.

This one is perhaps more calming than thought-provoking…

One more step to total monopolistic control by a few companies. This starts very “techy,” but becomes more clear as he proceeds.

1 Like

I found a movie I watched a long time ago on TV. All thanks to the ungooglable name “Insignificant details of the accidental episode”. It has trains at least put train somewhere in there so I can google it!

It’s an artistic short movie. Subtitles are passable.

Not a masterpiece but has a few good moments. I really like how the life is passing while they’re waiting to start moving again. Hits close, for a lot of people, I bet. With this idea that you just gotta wait and then life will start, just gotta work hard now and then it’ll start getting better. And then you die. Delayed life syndrome, was it. All the while some people fly on planes.

Landscapes were shot around Syvash where Crimea is connected to big land, apparently.

It also has various award, and apparently even Prize of Iraq short film festival.

3 Likes

Additionally on the same channel he has a short pseudo-documentary. I guess it kind of makes fun of this type of TV format. Maybe someone likes this humor.

1 Like

Excellent movie! It evokes so many memories for me. I know I have seen similar movies about people stranded, but can’t recall any titles just now. However, the underlying “romance,” the “ships passing in the night” theme is something I have experienced, as I described in another thread.

I have also traveled on long, narrow causeways like in that beautiful overhead shot. First time, at 14, was frightening. Before sun-up, we left our motel in Sea Level, NC, and crossed a coastal swamp on an earthen causeway (not even graveled) about nine miles to reach our ferry to Okracoke Island. I imagined the driving rain would wash away the causeway and we would sink into quicksand. The ferry crossing of the sound, in a full storm, was even worse.

The subtitles were interesting. “Tracts” for “tracks” is obviously a verbal mistake, suggesting the captions were dictated, but “can” instead of “car” several times is either a repeated typo or maybe a real translation. Does Russian say “railroad can” instead of our “railroad car”?

Since I started talking about old movies. I finally had enough resolve to watch old Ivan the Fearsome movie which is like a legendary movie everyone always praises but I never watched it.

Subtitles appear to be high-quality. I’ve seen some other ones with more localization and it’s meh. These try to be more in line with what they’re saying.

And it is damn great. Shot more like a theatric performance, with striking emotions. Lighting gives everything contrast. And the eyes, showing the eyes as clearly as possible. Funnily enough reminds me of Japanese anime with big eyes. Too bad the series was never finished.

And the story still relevant. Rich oligarchs that own everything make decisions on behalf of the country, and sooner die than give up the power. Plus, almost everyone is a rat who is scheming something.

Oh, and somewhat interesting to read these days:

The maritime lands which used to belong to our forefathers have been taken away from us. So we have crowned ourselves also to the ownership of the erstwhile Russian lands which are now under foreign countries.