Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

You left out one of the great aspects of the movie, which is Prokofiev’s magnificent musical score. I saw them more than 40 years ago on the big screen at the American Film Institute Theater at the Kennedy Center. Wonderful films.

2 Likes

Interesting video about war movies, you know, how sides are shown.

4 Likes

Historically, this (https://forums.online-go.com/t/cat-o-o-lodge/17336) was the thread for posts about cats of all kinds and other wildlife, although admittedly it is hard to know that today because of that thread’s weird title.

The thread you pointed to is in a secret part of the forum.

You mean restricted—there isn’t really anything secret about it.

That is a famous film, directed and co-written by Frank Capra as part of the U.S. war effort. He also directed the famous Why We Fight series, which are really excellent both as propaganda and as directorial exemplars.

These were shown during a major Capra festival at AFI at the Kennedy center in the late1970s (or possibly the early 80s). Capra himself attended one evening for a Q&A with the audience. This festival also premiered the reconstructed version of his classic, Lost Horizon.

2 Likes
1 Like

Here is a superb dramatization of Stephen Crane’s The Blue Hotel, one of the greatest American short stories IMHO. It features two notable actors early in their careers, James Keach and David Warner.

Spoiler

Because the location of the killing was shifted from a bar to the B&B, which would not have a cash register in the parlor, one of the finest details in the story had to be omitted, the incisive symbolic sentence: “The corpse…had its eyes fixed upon a dreadful legend that dwelt atop of the cash-machine: ‘This registers the amount of your purchase.’”

Not a video, but this picture is really neat

4 Likes
1 Like

Joseph Conrad’s “An Outpost of Progress” was a warm-up for his more famous novella, “Heart of Darkness.” This short film simplifies and slightly distorts Conrad’s story, but it is an excellent film in its own right. The story draws on Conrad’s experiences as a riverboat captain on the Congo River in the late 19th century.

Youtube keeps recommending me these ads. And I guess they win.

Battle royale music, hehe

1 Like

Fun but predictable. This is the theme of the classic science-fiction novel, A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

1 Like

What is more thought provoking and relaxing than an elephant painting an elephant and even signing the canvas? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Animal abuse is hardly relaxing :unamused:

Some of the videos in this thread are relaxing and some are thought-provoking. Rarely are they both. Most, I think, are thought-provoking.

True enough. In all fairness, I’m not 100% certain that the ones depicted in the video are abusive practices; however, I have heard of the draconian ways in which elephants are trained to do such tricks.

Are there non-draconian ways to train animals?