Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

Found this really nice channel, about geology - it could be dry, but it is actually super interesting and very well presented. I won’t tell anything about the content of this one, it is honestly mindblowing. Crazy stuff happening down there, for sure!!

2 Likes

A guy travelling in Russia, including Luhansk. First half of the video is mostly just tourism in Russia which is rather boring.

3 Likes

This instantly brought to mind my favorite Fred Astaire dance in my favorite Fred Astaire movie, A Damsel in Distress (1937):

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Teddy bears are playing

I’ll see the Bill Kaysing and Capricorn One and raise 100 billion birds.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

Motivational missile

Seems like a great video.

Not only due to the lyrics and general awesomeness of the song, but also inspirational is that Hornsby could only really play the piano right handed. His left hand - even in the videoclip - sometimes does nothing. Yet here he is, having written and performed one of the greatest songs ever:

Video is blocked in the U.S.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear this. Maybe this one works? :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have ever seen a Marx Brothers movie, Chico, the piano player, also had a weak left hand. Chico’s left hand limps along playing block chords or simple patterns, while he did all the tricks with his right hand. The one Marx Brothers biography I have read said that Chico’s piano training was curtailed for lack of money, so he never got really advanced training. Be that as it may, another fact to bear in mind is that most pop music of this kind is written that way.

A particularly interesting case is Hoagy Carmichael, who appears in important supporting roles as a piano player in Bogart and Bacall’s To Have and Have Not (1944) and in The Best Years of Our Lives (1946). Carmichael was entirely self-taught and couldn’t even read music, yet he played well and composed many excellent pop songs in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, including “Stardust,” which many people of that era considered the finest pop song of all time.

“Stardust”:

“Am I Blue” from To have and Have Not:

2 Likes

Quite so, that was another famous example I had in mind. Also inspirational the tale of his brother “Harpo” who learned how to play the harp on his own, in a very non-conventional way. I’ve read somewhere that when he finally had the money and decided to take lessons, it was the teachers that stood there transfixed wondering at the way he was playing and decided that he didn’t really need any teaching. That could be just a tale though, but he really was self-taught in a very very difficult instrument.

1 Like

Well worth the watch:

Whenever you feel you understand what’s going on and you need a reality check, just put on the latest video from PBS_Spacetime:

That should fix any misconception you might have about understanding anything in life :sweat_smile:

1 Like