Place to share relaxing and thought-provoking videos

Lots of relaxing duck footage. Also, I see it’s still pretty snowy in Vermont.

1 Like

A great last performance by Burton.

I find him compelling in this scene and perversely it gives me a small sense of release from my frustrations and anger about the current state of the world…

1 Like

This engaging profile of Yehudi Menuhin, one of the 20th century’s greatest violinists, also includes interesting observations on the development of an exceptional child prodigy.

This is timestamped straight to the canning, but it’s not like the first five mins aren’t worth watching.

2 Likes

Here is a searing iconoclastic drama, The Well of the Saints, by John M. Synge. Superbly acted and directed. Not relaxing, but very thought-provoking.

“nobody can eat (three hundred and) fifty eggs”

2 Likes

Coffee channel of the 2007 World Barista champion.

1 Like
3 Likes

I found another coffee channel:

Still snowy in Colorado as well:

Oh, this one is my favourite for a while:

1 Like

Daily life in early 19th-century America.

From the channel Early American.

Discussing innovations made in kabuki dance, in or around the 1930s.

That’s interesting indeed. Apparently it’s not widely known, did Tom discover a new thing?

4 Likes

Tom’s channel began with videos about cooking with non-culinary appliances.

Interestingly, Breakfast: Fortified with Iron was published only a year after youtube’s oldest video.

Tremendous video! A forgotten byway of science and a Lovelock interview—pure gold!

If you think it’s too long:
1961 has the most action, obviously. (around 5:40)
Although I find it more satisfying to watch the restoration process during the 90s.

1 Like

What is your preferred plural of octopus?

• none: octopus
  • Anglicised: octopuses
  • Hellenic: octopodes
  • Anglo-Hellenic: octopods
  • second-declension Latinate: octopi
  • fourth-declension Latinate: octopūs
  • whimsical: octopussies

0 voters

2 Likes

I have always understood it to be octopi, and have never heard it another way. Kind of like radius, radii, denarius, denarii (a Roman currency mentioned in the Bible), etc.

Octopice

On the other hand, interestingly, the plural from of “I” is “us

1 Like

The reason octopi is called by some authorities incorrect is that not all Latin -us nouns pluralise with -i.

-i is the second declension plural, and most -us nouns are in the second declension.
So ursus, -i (bear/s), taurus, -i (bull/s), columbus, -i (dove/s).

There is also a fourth-declension plural, though, which distinguishes based on vowel length.
So manus (hand) but manūs (hands).

octopus is not a Classical Latin noun; the Romans used the world polypus, “many-footed”, a loan from Greek. Perhaps because this was ambiguous and could also refer to a cuttlefish, or because polypus resembled polyp too much, later writers made another loan from Greek to make the New Latin word octopus, “eight-footed”.

Whereas polypus is in the second declension, octopus is in the third. Compare the two:

case polypus sg. octopus sg. explanation polypus pl. octopus pl.
nominative polypus octopus an octopus polypi octopodes
vocative polype octopus O octopus polypi octopodes
accusative polypum octopodem an octopus polypos octopodes
genitive polypi octopodis an octopus’s polyporum octopodum
dative polypo octopodi for an octopus polypis octopodibus
ablative polypo octopode in an octopus polypis octopodibus
1 Like