Playing a Forum Game: "Werewolf" (aka "Mafia")

In the case of a successful cure, if the doctor was not killed, then at least they would believe the villager. It still seems like a very powerful mechanic that can reveal a lot of information at once.

Wouldn’t the vampires always want to convert rather than kill? This removes a villager and bolsters their numbers.

By the way, in an earlier post I suggested that we add mechanics that limit conversion abilities of the vampires:

3 Likes

Feel free to suggest how to change the rules to improve them, because I don’t really know either.

Perhaps we could limit the number of times a Doctor can try to cure, or perhaps we could leave the choice to the cured villager if they want to be cured and the doctor dies or if they want to stay a vampire but the doctor lives?

I like these suggestions as well

2 Likes

After thinking a bit more about faction switching mechanics, I think we should be very careful about introducing them into the game.

For faction switching from villager to vampire, this might have the effect of accelerating the game into the favor of the vampires. Thus, I think we need to start with relatively few vampires and limit their conversion abilities in some way.

For faction switching from vampire to villager, I think we might want to avoid this altogether. First, it has the potential of revealing all of the information all at once to the villagers. If the doctor makes a successful heal, then the cured player should immediately reveal the identities of the vampires on the next day. Even if the cured player is then immediately executed, that would only confirm that the identities (if player factions are revealed at death). Second, the presence of this mechanism might create a perverse incentive for a vampire to actively betray their team, say by trying to hint to the doctor that they should be cured, and then winning as a villager after being converted. In fact, when cured, I think that new villager would want to reveal the vampires and then actually request to be immediately executed in order to prevent being converted back to a vampire, which are now at a distinct disadvantage.

3 Likes

Faction switching (if not limited) could also result in some peaceful endgames where all of the players win.

For example, the villagers could choose not to execute anyone during the day, and not try to block any conversions at night, while the vampires convert all of the villagers without killing anyone. Eventually, everyone could win as a vampire.

Another example, the vampires could reveal themselves and agree not to kill or convert anyone, ask that the villagers do not kill anyone, and wait for the doctor to eventually cure all of them. Then, everyone could win as a villager.

1 Like

Good, you’ve convinced me. Then how about this:

• The doctor gets to cure a villager of vampirism only on the same night that the villager is converted by the vampires. This way the villager does not know who the other vampires are.
  • The vampires can only convert villagers every other night. The game starts with a single vampire who can convert only on the second night.
4 Likes

Ok, I think this would work, but the doctor here is essentially just a protector that can only block conversion attempts.

2 Likes

I tell you what, Dracula would have been mightily perturbed at having to wait 48 hours. But I like it. This has the potential to be very complex indeed. It’s a hearty brew.

I don’t want to commit right away. If the numbers are thin again I’ll play, but if there’s an influx of new players I’d prefer to sit this one out. Either way, I’ll be following with great interest.

4 Likes

I think this sounds much more manageable. Starting with a single vampire is a good idea

2 Likes

How about a Random or Rotating seer?
This would be to give all of the villagers the possibility of sometimes having a night action.

Random Seer: Each night, a villager is randomly selected to be the seer, and get the use the seer power. If the appointed seer is killed that night, no more seer power for the rest of the game.

Rotating Seer: The seer is randomly appointed for night 0. When the seer investigates someone, they are told whether or not their selection is a vampire/werewolf or a villager. If the selection was a villager, then that person will be the seer for the next night.

1 Like

Option 3:

Elected Seer: During the day, the village votes for who gets to be the seer. The seer cannot be killed during the night phase.

3 Likes

That’s interesting, since it would elicit both public discussion about who should be seer and also who they should investigate. Then, they would also be obligated to reveal what they learned on the next day. This would build a whole web of information to analyze in order to track down possible wolves/vamps.

3 Likes

Especially fun, since the vampires might convert the seer during the night

3 Likes

One of the fun parts for me as a werewolf was trying to figure out who the seer was so we could kill them. If the role of seer passes from person to person, I feel as though it would take too much pressure off of the seer regarding when the right time to reveal his/her identity is and which information is vital enough to share with the group.

That being said, I wouldn’t be against trying one of these variations out.

Edit: I obviously didn’t finish reading all of the posts before replying. I need to get better about that :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I fear the sign-up poll may have gotten buried. (couldn’t possibly be that people don’t want to play with us, right?)

4 Likes

Yes, I do think the sign-up poll was overlooked by a lot of people. I think it’s hard to catch new attention with a post so deep into a long thread. For recruiting additional signups, maybe we should start a new thread at some point?

In the meantime, let’s keep discussing possible rules and mechanics for the next game.

3 Likes

:+1: Definitely. :slight_smile:

I actually got a few people to take a look at this thread, but I guess nobody wanted to read all of it, and nobody wanted to register here only to play werewolf.
…at least it earned me a “nice share” badge. :wink:

4 Likes

I’m starting to develop an itch…

It’s hard to discuss what rules we we want to employ for the next game without knowing how many people we could possibly have, as that will have a significant impact.

3 Likes

Just assume “barely enough to play” number of people, I guess.

6 Likes

Anyone wants to make something like this?

2 Likes

Anyone up for a game of werewolves or that cheating player variation?

2 Likes