Playing a Forum Game: "Werewolf" (aka "Mafia")

But in this setting, the lunatic would pretend to be a normal (not lunatic) villager, to get eaten by the wolves.

• To disguise as the protector could be a good strategy as well, but since there’s no need for the protector to out himself, it probably wouldn’t work/change much.
  • To disguise as the seer would feed the villagers wrong information, while the wolves are having an advantage in identifying the wrong by his wrong predictions.
1 Like

When we are 5, if someone gets 2 votes and the rest vote for nobody to be killed, is the one with 2 votes executed?

IF there are 5 player left during the day AND two players vote to execute player “X” AND three players vote to execute No One, THEN No One will be executed (i.e., no players are eliminated).

1 Like

I would find it easier if the update posts for day and night, along with the polls, were edited in the first post of the thread, in a continuous updated post.
On one hand it would eliminate the need to scroll up and down to find the poll to check for updates, on the other hand it would break continuity.
Anyone with opinions on this?

1 Like

I could post a link to the latest update post and poll in the first post, and keep that updated with edits as we proceed. Another useful tool is the bookmark feature (click on the three dots" on any post to show the bookmark tool as an option) to make it easier to find a post for later reference.

3 Likes

I find the first solution better.
I’m known to end up with bookmarks everywhere.

1 Like

The first game has now ended. For analysis and discussion of that particular game, please use its game thread, which now everyone is welcome to post in and use normally.

Thank you to @fiddlehead, @Vsotvep, @RubyMineshaft, @Gia, @S_Alexander, @KAOSkonfused, and @Eugene for playing in the first game!

Let’s continue to use this thread to further discussion the logistics and organization of this and future games. Here are some questions:

1. What did you like or dislike about this game? What features/rules would you want to change or like to on keep in the game?
  2. Did the game move at an appropriate speed? Too fast? Too slow?
  3. Should the voting mechanisms be altered? How?
  4. What new roles, rules, mechanisms would you want to add? Are there any roles that you think should be removed?

So, who’s in for another game? Maybe after we discuss some logistics first. Hopefully, we’ll get a bigger group for game 2!

1 Like

As an outside observer it was fun to watch. The lack of information on day 1 was a little bit strange. Maybe giving the seer a vision in night 0 would increase the dynamic of day 1.

4 Likes

Lunatic is HARD without more players.
I would have liked 1 day per day more, in retrospect.

Voting would be nice if it was simultaneous somehow.

I agree with @flovo about the first day.

4 Likes

Oh my I forgot we had an audience. :flushed:

2 Likes

Did it pique your interest in joining the next game?

3 Likes
  1. One day per phase seems a better pace.
  2. I agree with simultaneous voting, but it might be hard with 1 day/ per phase with timezones.
  3. Lunatic, I can see the use of the character, but I’d like him more as a true wild card. It seems like just one more obstacle for the villagers.

Maybe some bargaining could take place?

I don’t have much to add, since this was my first game. I truly hope more people join in next time, it will be a blast!

3 Likes

I’m definitely down for another round.

I’d personally prefer it if the roles weren’t revealed upon death. It leaves more room for uncertainty if we don’t know for sure if the person we killed is a villager or werewolf. Not sure how others would feel about this though.

Depending on the size of the next group, it might be fun to add in a Witch as well. The way the Witch role works, if I remember correctly, is that she is given two vials at the beginning of the game. One vial contains an elixir which has the power to revive a player on the same night they have been killed by the werewolves. The second vial contains a poison which can be used to kill a player of her choice. Each vial can be used only once per game.

2 Likes

Playing again after so long has given me an idea for a new project. I’m playing around with the idea of writing a Werewolf inspired web app, just for fun. Thanks for starting this @yebellz

3 Likes

A witch with two vials as well? Oh man, I already feel like my head’s about to explode!

Not to be overlooked here is the possible influence of the likes attached to the various posts. Are the likers speaking as characters in the game, or simply as appreciative ogs users? It’s that straddling two worlds thing again. To what extent does it influence, and how much of it is inadvertent? Is this something we necessarily want? Something to consider.

1 Like

True. I specifically refrained from liking certain posts out of fear that it would somehow bring attention to me.

I think the players are free to like posts in the game thread however they wish, although strategic and psychological considerations can play into their decision making.

I asked non-playing observers to refrain from even liking posts, since I was worried that it could potentially affect the game. I believe all observers refrained while the game was in progress. I even exercised this restraint myself, since I did not want to influence the game. Hence, all of the players might have noticed that today, right after the game had ended, I went back through the thread and liked all of the various amusing, entertaining, bold, clever, etc. posts that I had wanted to like. I’ve liked so many posts today, that I just hit my daily limit.

4 Likes

First of all, I propose to change the rules, in general. If we play with more or less the same few players and same rules it’s a bit boring. Although It would emphasize who says what and how people played previous games, I’d find it more interesting if each game was played with slightly different rules and each side would try to take advantage of it, like Formula 1.

Second of all, lunatic breaks the game, doesn’t it. And probably specifically because they form their own faction. For example, it can lead into positions where a side knows they can’t win but they decide who is going to win in the rest of the group. E.g. both wolves are discovered, one is executed, and the second wolf can kill the lunatic and let them win or not kill the lunatic and let villagers win. Or maybe even everyone knows each other cards and wolves vote against a villager, villagers vote against a wolf and the lunatic has to break/keep the tie. In real games maybe it’s not clear like and there’s still fun in it but still. Maybe change it to a villager who is a simple villager but wins only if werewolves win?

Lack of information in the beginning is generally normal in the game. People judge who said what and how they played before and somehow figure how sounds more wolfish. Perhaps if we continue to play like this we’ll learn to make the first day better. But if don’t like it right off the bat, that’s fine for me too.

Speed. 1 day per phase is more dynamic but that would only work properly when everyone is in the same timezone and spend their free time on forums every day. I feel 2 days is ok we just need to use this time to the fullest extent. I imagine nights can be boring for villagers though.

3 Likes

Yes, it was a bit.

Could we maybe give a “night shift” to a random villager each time?

1 Like