Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

The Long Ballad (cdrama)

King is playing a game with his Taoist advisor, later the advisor throws some of the stones on the goban and reads an auspicious prediction for the King.

5 Likes

Later, a game in the street

(I hope the gif plays, it was work to make it!!!)
ezgif.com-gif-maker (5)

9 Likes

a1

This “STEALTH” B12 Bomber managed to stay on the board with zero liberties!

14 Likes

(it does have liberties, it’s connected to a dragon, the white balance just makes the connecting stone not look as black)

9 Likes

I honestly did not see that until now!

3 Likes

Inspector Koo. The drama aired in 2021, so I’ll have to see if and how this is connected.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Korean drama “The Glory”

/looks like a depressing snoozefest but I skimmed for go content

(opening)

(E2 ~8:40)

(E2 ~24:15 long scene)

(E2 ~37:25-38:00)

(E3 ~19:55 long scene)

(E3 ~24:15)

(E4 ~40:00 long scene)

(E6 ~16:00)

(E8 ~19:40)

Demos for some of the positions The Glory

(Black to move, does black live?)

Looks like not only black managed to win a ko in bottom-right there but also pull off all this nonsense on the top

8 Likes

Maybe it’s a teaching game? I actually remember the episode, but didn’t know a thing about Go at the time. Actually, it can’t have been a teaching game, I think Tucker was surprised to lose? I remember a show called due South where one of the characters was supposed to be good at chess, but fell for checkmate to in one. Equally cringe worthy, I suppose.

3 Likes

Nirvana In fire(2015), a very fine Chinese TV episode which inspires me a lot.

I think so by completing the ponnuki making miai to make one eye on both direction

On the pics of the movie: it hurts me so much to see a set under the rain. First time in my life :cry::joy:

1 Like

That was my first thought.
The second was: is there some disclaimer such as “no goban were harmed to make this movie”? :grin:

4 Likes

サマーウォーズ (Summer Wars).

They are playing koi-koi, which is partially derived from a game called Go-Stop. So technically playing Go in movies?

4 Likes

Opening stone on the second line in a pro game in Hikaru no go.

Black passed in the previous turn.

8 Likes

:joy:

Now, for a little game of spot the cameo:

Spoiler

0:43

4 Likes

This is referenced in another thread: Criminal minds S01E01

7 Likes

So It’s like 1 second? Funny (and well observed)

Nice cameo. Two nitpicks:

1. A rotating go board falls into the category of a solution to a problem no one ever had
  2. I don’t know if “extreme aggressor” is the proper classification. I’d say this guy plays on Fox a lot.
4 Likes

Rotating go board doesn’t really make much sense for self play, but I could see if being useful for reviewing games/positions.