Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

So I fear you can’t watch any modern tv series.
They’re so focused on cliffhanger that they always forget consistency.

1 Like

I think PPL management is the worst. There’s always some entitled funder who ruins the character building.

Unfortunately, that’s what they think it sells, so they do it all the time.

It doesn’t bother me, unless they speak it with heavy pronunciation.

2 Likes

I think it’s up to the director (and the rest of the production, to a degree) to create an atmosphere where we can let go of details.

I find I can suspend considerable amounts of my disbelief if what I’m watching manages to carry me away.

It doesn’t have to be the most expensive or the most accurate production; as long as the characters are consistent and the passion of the creators reaches me, I can enjoy most things.

5 Likes

I had the pleasure of watching The Wandering Earth with a roomful of physicists. The premise is that big reactors are installed on Earth to take it out of the Sun’s orbit and set it on a course towards Alpha Centauri. We had a great time criticising and questioning every single second of the film.

4 Likes

just ( light/radiation to sound ) neural net generators to make it easier to astronaut to feel what’s going on around.

1 Like

Hmmm… I’m afraid this discussion will land here, sooner or later:

2 Likes

Yes, one of the worst displays of social consciousness in TV history, in the original Star Trek. Saw it when it first ran, when I was about 12.

I was thinking about suspension of disbelief. If the sound of explosions in space is laughable, what about those characters?
Despite that, I loved that series and still have good memories about it.

I don’t really get what you mean with your comment, though.

1 Like

I meant that with garish ineptitude (one should never wear a symbol on one’s sleeve in fiction writing) they felt they had to be hyper-obvious in their statement about the stupidity of racism. Excellent message, badly illustrated.

I was a huge Star Trek fan as well. Indeed, I compiled a petition of more than 100 schoolmates that I sent to the network, which was among the many that helped to save the show from cancellation. I still have the letter from NBC (IIRC) thanking me for my devotion to the show.

3 Likes

Nice cameo, but godawful stones :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Are those fish tank pebbles?

7 Likes

Well, I guess I just have to pick my battles in this regard.

Having said that - here are a handful of TV series that I have thoroughly enjoyed, that each have their own internal logic, and have stuck to that successfully:

• Billions
  • Succession
  • Euphoria
  • Archer
  • Rick and Morty
  • Devs
  • The Expanse
  • The Boys

Your Mileage May Vary, Some Cars Not For Use With Some Sets, Void Where Prohibited, Contents May Settle During Shipping

1 Like

Looking like stones i saw in some weiqi meeting in China, they are glass and supra cheap and i agree quite awful. Shapes are irregular and a bit smaller as it should be.

3 Likes

I have them! :smile:

Definitely!
You could call them glass beads. I think that’s how they’re called on amazon. Also vase fillers.

5 Likes

I’m all for players getting their gear however they can. Our local club is no stranger of such tactics either. My criticism should be taken as tongue-in-cheek.

Still, I don’t know the budget of this series, but maybe they could have spared a hundred bucks for better equipment :thinking:.

3 Likes

You know what’s interesting? The question is whether this show creators thought about the aesthetics of Go and how it plays an extremely important part for many players. Understanding the importance of aesthetics requires at least some knowledge of the subject and insight into players’ motivation. There is no coincidence that people get into Go through Hikaru No Go.

1 Like

In Hikaru no Go we accept a bloody possessed goban, a ghost and a briefly possessed child, in an otherwise completely paranormal-free setting.
I’d say we all suspend our disbelief quite a bit. Because it’s well-made.

3 Likes

a child briefly possessed by a go superhero ghost, and that he suddenly says: “ok ghost, step back, from now on I’ll do myself” and he plays like a superhero too! :smile:

3 Likes

Something related to ‘Yokai’/‘Yurei’ in Hikaru no go.

Lol

One wonders what kind of equipment they could have in 1950s which is when the events of the show are happening.