Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

[18+] 息子の嫁は親父の女 ~女医とナースに仕込む胤~

4 Likes

It’s written [18+]… That board position is really indecent.

4 Likes

Indeed. This is the visible part of the board:

7 Likes

One more go variant?

1 Like

Kakegurui Twin

4 Likes

Not a movie, a youtube video but still media, right https://youtu.be/Zx-V7_gT0s0

3 Likes

The Long Ballad

9 Likes

(It’s supposed to be a go game but the position is not even legal.)

6 Likes

My wife is watching it under the title “chess love” :smile:

There’s some funny scenes where the actions of the game are depicted as a fantasy duel.

4 Likes

In the same drama they play “beer and go”: one stone, one sip.
I wonder if I would be able to end a single game! :smile:

4 Likes

This one was linked in chat some days ago, thought its worth sharing here too ^^

edit oh no the threat was just for pictures, hope you dont mind >___>

1 Like

TV show Shifr/Cypher (2022)

Didn’t watch it but seems side character teaches main character how to play and she after 10-second explanation of the rules wins. With black even though black doesn’t look especially winning.

9 Likes

In the last picture, it looks like the big white group in the northwest corner might die

As a Go player (somewhere between 8-10kyu?) and a Russian speaker, this scene strained my credulity quite a bit.

When the fellow explains the rules of Go, he gets quite poetic about how the Japanese view the game as a “dialogue between the hands”, but he never mentions really basic things like

• liberties
  • capturing
  • the need for 2 eyes to make life
  • how territory scoring actually works

And yet, based on this minimal info, the lady sits down and plays TENGEN for her first move (eye roll)

When we reach the board position in the lowest photo, the woman places a white stone and says “CHECK MATE” - even though there are weak groups all over the board on both sides, and it’s far from obvious that the black group she just attacked is actually dead / captured. In fact, looking at the board, I can clearly see that black can connect their two groups with a single move, so they’re definitely not cut off / captured.

So yeah, to me it’s pretty obvious that this is one of those shows that’s relying on the audience to have no understanding of Go. I’m curious where they sourced their example game though…

4 Likes

I think you’re being very harsch.

There are countless occurrences of chess in films, and in every game of chess on television ever, the same thing happens: one of the players say something clever, then moves a piece, says “checkmate”, and the other player acts surprised “Oh no, you checkmated me, I did not see that coming, what a great play from you”.
For a chess player, this is extremely ridiculous, especially if the losing player is supposed to be a very strong player. But the director wants something striking and easily understandable even by non-players. So, surprise checkmate it is, as unrealistic as it can be.

The same can be expected for a game of go.

Now, if you look at a show that went to great trouble to make realistic games, you could have a great result. Of course the Hikaru no Go anime is an awesome example, that can be enjoyed both by players and non-players alike. There is great tension in every game showed in the anime, and this tension is palpable even by spectators who don’t know the rules of the game.

But that requires a lot of effort, and spending a lot of time with the director discussing with a “go expert” consultant.

If you compare this occurrence with other occurrences in other films or TV shows, this one actually looks pretty good. The position on the board looks pretty realistic, except for some of the white stones being a bit overconcentrated on the south side, and except for the fight between the weak white group and the weak black group on the north side being a bit too all-or-nothing.

When she plays her move and claims “checkmate”, you can imagine that she just played an important move that ensured she will win that fight and capture the black group. Don’t squint at the board with your 8kyu eyes to notice that in fact, the tsumego is more complicated than the director wants you to believe.

6 Likes

If that’s what it takes to make Go trendy…

(Maybe she’d already heard about Go and she didn’t want to hurt his ego? :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Hehehe - guilty as charged! :wink:

I guess the portrayal of the Go game in Western / non-Asian media are a sore spot for me in general. From PI to A BEAUTIFUL MIND, to various plot devices in scifi shows (Star Trek, Altered Carbon, et al) it feels like one missed opportunity after another.

Part of that frustration is my desire to expose as many Westerners to the joys of this game as possible contrasted with the difficulty of grasping the game’s concepts and the steepness of that learning curve for beginners.

I mean, let’s just take A BEAUTIFUL MIND for a minute. The way the game between Nash and Hansen is set up - Hansen is adept/proficient at it - he has been challenging colleagues for a while and winning (maybe SDK?). Whereas Nash is described as a complete beginner - meaning this is his very first Go game (i.e. 25-30kyu).

And I’m sorry, I don’t care what kind of high-octane capital G “GENIUS” you might be - my take is that in the game of Go experience matters. One cannot simply skip through months of experiential learning by being smart. And yeah, at least the way the game ends (with the capture of a large number of stones due to a false eye) is at least plausible given Nash’s lack of experience, but yeah - it just seems kind of disrespectful to anyone who has struggled to “lose their first 100 games quickly” to imply that someone of sufficient intelligence could just jump from absolutely nothing to being able to keep up with an SDK just like that…

And maybe that’s what rubbed me wrong with the above clip as well. It took me YEARS of looking at higher-level games, to be able to differentiate between living groups and dead ones (without hitting the OGS score estimator). The notion that this first-time player could do that with a board in such an unfinished state made my face scrunch up in disbelief.

I guess, in contrast, I thought back to this YouTube board game reviewer, and his experience with the game:

Yes, he got a bunch of little details wrong, but I’m happy to cut him slack as a beginner, because he did such a good job of articulating the fascination with the depth and breadth of the game. How lost / overwhelmed he felt tackling such a huge undertaking was part of the allure of the game, and I found my non-Go-playing friends responded to his descriptions with curiosity and fascination. His honesty and confusion made the game more approachable for them.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents, and yes I always roll my eyes in scifi movies when explosions in outer space make noise, because I’m that kind of guy :wink:

5 Likes

Does it bother you that some many cinema space aliens speak today’s English a thousand years in the future? Not to mention time travelers from the far future, or humans in the far future?

4 Likes

I understand that like a dubbed movie. The English language we hear represents another language, either an alien language, or a future human language that the alien has learnt.

3 Likes

You know - I’ve thought about this a lot.

Because - if a story gives me a premise, and then STICKS to the internal logic of that premise - I find myself committing to it, and suspending my disbelief successfully.

I’ve been able to stretch that disbelief quite far with abstract movies like THE 9TH GATE (Polanski), STALKER (Tarkovsky), surrealist things like HOLY MOUNTAIN (Jodorowsky), of even really silly things like GHOSTBUSTERS (Ramis). In each one, I am asked to believe something unbelievable, but the various bits of detail and business all combine to a coherent whole, and I find myself enjoying the act of playing along - absorbing more of the story because of the way my disbelief is suspended.

Other movies rub me the wrong way right off the bat - I guess J.J. Abrams would be the master of this particular type of thematic laziness. A specific prop will play one role in the action at the beginning of the movie and then behave completely differently towards the end of the movie with no explanation given. It’s lazy misdirection, and it takes me out of the moment because it breaks the premise it asked me to accept earlier.

So yeah, IF you’re going to go through the trouble of making your Newtonian / Einsteinian physics work WRONG for some thematic reason - then you can have my suspension of disbelief, but that reason has to be a good one (i.e True Love, the Power of Rock and Roll, etc), and it has to stay consistent from beginning to end. It can’t just switch what it does willy nilly and hope I don’t notice because the hero got the girl.

4 Likes