Playing Go in Movies and TV-Shows (pictures)

Here?

I think this is the position.
I’d feel quite thin as black.

Screenshot_20220418-110744_Chrome

6 Likes

Maybe not the right place for this but this is the most relevant thread I could find.

I found a go board (and stone) in an origami instruction video. I’ve never seen a go board used for crafting purposes. The creator shows how to make a kabuto. If you use newspaper your kids can make one to wear for Children’s Day (5/5).

8 Likes

Looks like the go board is used to play Scrabble as well.

6 Likes

The Wind Blows From Longxi (2022)

I rarely see GO boards that look like “true” wood and the lines are not filled with black colour.
I guess I’m too used to the mass-produced ones.

7 Likes

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

(and i felt that)

13 Likes

Ya Boy Kongming
(corner position was slammed by a fist-suji)

10 Likes

Just watched this episode! I guess being a deity doesn’t really help one’s endgame :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I swear there was a thread somewhere for Go being mentioned but this was the closest thread I could find.

Here is a clip of an offhand reference to Go from a few lawyers discussing the Depp-Heard trial

5 Likes

If podcasts count… Garnt from Trash Taste mentioned he wants to learn Go. Apparently they had a Chess tournament after chess.com reached out to them, maybe there is an opportunity for OGS to try something similar?

6 Likes

In the spider-man comic books, there is one episode where the bad guy “Mr Negative” is shown playing go. Against himself. Spider-man clearly did not play go. I think the point was to illustrate “Mr Negative is a Chinese mastermind with a personality disorder”.

I’ll try to find a picture of the page where Mr Negative plays go.

EDIT:

The Amazing Spider-man, issue 569 (october 2008).

10 Likes

Someone need to reach out Gigguk/Garnt to give him a Go lesson as it seems he very interested and might be slightly boosted Go popularity as he is popular Anituber as well.

2 Likes

Screenshot from the game Paper Bride

8 Likes

Alchemy of souls

8 Likes

what a cool goban

from opening of “Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) 2nd Season

4 Likes

This position is somewhat realistic locally, but looking at the whole goban it is extremely asymmetric. White has scattered stones, whereas black has only one big group of connected stones.

It looks like they are playing a go variant, maybe like “kill-all go”, where white would have many stones on the board and black wins if one black group lives.

there are captured stones (outside board), which should be impossible with such position

btw,
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/バカ

3 Likes

The thing about those casual empress games is you can expect some weiqi here and there.

7 Likes

Somewhat better view of the game

6 Likes

Might be worth putting it here too: “Know Your Enemy: Japan” (1945) at around 43m

“Western card games were purged in favor of this. It’s a game of superchess called go. Actually, it is a game of military strategy.”

4 Likes