Playing Go IRL pictures

Quiz: which color am I and what rank is the other player? First person to guess right gets to call me 99kyu for a month.

Also, I have no idea how to count if there’s no OGS to count for me. :cry::cry::cry:

10 Likes

I think niphead might be my new favourite insult. Thank you Taavi

3 Likes

Hey, this looks like a very fighting game. Black lost a lot of stones, right?
And it’s not finished yet: a couple borders to close.
I think white was quite stronger and also unforgiving. I’d say about 10 stones stronger.

Gotta learn! :slightly_smiling_face:
It’s the funniest part of the game, fiddling with stones and moving them all around. :grin:

6 Likes

I’m (sort of) dyscalculic, need to take off my shoes when I want to count to 20 :wink:

But OK, I’m also lazy.

But, contrary to my own fears, I’m slowly getting better at it … learned to count “dead” stones as two points, counting in groups like 10 and 10 and 10, etc. … thinking stuff like, “oh, those dead stones will later fill up that territory there, that’s good”, stuff like that.

3 Likes

I can count empty space points (I think)* and sloooowly getting better to recognizing dead groups (after the fact, not during the game). But points where stones are involved (other than the prisoners), I can’t yet. Also can’t: that nice thingie that I saw in Divine Move (the movie) where they shuffled the stones around in rectangular shapes and got points. Seems cool, can’t do it.

*I can never remember which one is Chinese and which one is Japanese counting. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Japanese is the one where they make all the pretty rectangles.

Chinese is the one where stones fly everywhere and you have no idea what the hell is going on and then they somehow divine a winner who probably won by a quarter point in an integer scoring game.

16 Likes

This applies to both their movies and Go rules. :thinking:

5 Likes

This is how I would score the board:

1. Take off all captured stones, put them back in their box
  2. Fill your areas with your own stones
  3. Take all your stones off the board
  4. Put them into a new box, on a weighing scale
  5. Divide the weight by the weight of one stone (with a calculator)
  6. You have your score, and you used no skill
15 Likes

Did you just come up with this? This should be an official scoring method.

4 Likes

It’d be cool to have bespoke scales that automatically convert weight to points, they could be designed like a counterpart to the bowls, with a similar appearance but a slightly different shape. eg. whilst bowls get narrower at the top, the weighing-bowls could get wider…

Sounds like a lockdown project for one of our woodworkers :3

5 Likes

Would this sort of align with the ruleset that only allows 180 pieces per player or w/e? Not super familiar with this but… would make sense to me.

Also, too funny.

4 Likes

Ah, I see you’re jok-Ing

9 Likes

Here is a picture at the beginning of a family game. I didn’t actually play in the game, but by the end of it both people agreed that online was less confusing and better, partly because the coins were all different sizes.

19 Likes

Nb. No comments on ongoing game please. Ty.

Cookie

download

17 Likes

I hope no-one will mind if I sneakily bump this thread. It’s one of the best on the forum and shouldn’t be lurking in the shadows~

10 Likes

Ok it’s players I found in the real life, although they don’t show a lot of life themself.
On a second hand market a few weeks ago.

15 Likes

In a weiqi school for children at the third floor of a commercial center in Kunchan, a famous industrial city near Shanghai. Discovered by pure luck.

21 Likes

The same day, the weiqi teacher drove me to the Kunchan weiqi club, located in an old flat and absolutely impossible to detect from outside. I met there a few nice players.
It was really my lucky day.

24 Likes

Who would win?

A set of rules for scoring

Or one (1) seki boi

5 Likes

Go lecture. Kunchan (China 2020)

15 Likes